Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #1

Share |

hi pressure in the furnace

After installing a feed water valve and some valves in my oil fired hot water system my furnace pressure went up to about 33. I had an old extol expansion tank so I replaced it. still high pressure. When I filled the system I just opened the valve before and after the feed valve and just let the system fill up and then I vented... my pressure islike i said about 33 and when I check in the basement the floor is freshly wet... what can I do to lower the presser???

TonyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #2

The original post won't seem relevant to you, but it eventually gets to what you're talking about:

Baseboard Heat / Cold rooms / No Bleeders

EDITED TO ADD: Make sure the manual lever on top of the feed valve is loose; if it's too tight, it'll feed too much water to the system. Also, are you sure you purged enough of the air out of the lines when you filled the system back up? If not, the circulator(s) won't be able to cycle the water around, and the boiler will overheat causing the pressure to rise quickly.

Last edited by Ishmael; 10-27-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ishmael For This Useful Post:
TonyQ (10-28-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #3

I've losened the nut holding the feed water lever and backed the adjustment stem out aabout 1 1/2 turns and then adding some water to try to set the pressure that way even though it was a new feed valve I just put in two days ago. now im try;ing to adjust the pressure that way. I drained the pressure to about 5lbs and then turned the stem out and then bumped the system to about 10-11lbs and now im waiting to see if the feed water valve adds more water hence raising the pressure. I'll wait about an hour or so and see what happens to the pressure. When should I have the thermostat call for heat, it's pretty warm here now in connecticut, 72 in my house now and it's 10am, unsuually warm this time of year..
TonyQ is offline   Reply With Quote