Hepvo Trap For Shower? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Hepvo trap for shower?

I'm putting in a shower over 2x6 joists (unfortunately...), presenting the problem of fitting a trap. I came across something called a Hepvo waterless trap

http://www.hepvo.com/

This seems like it would be a good solution - is anyone familiar with these? Are they acceptable? Problematic?

The website seems to highlight their use in RV campers, although I found other instances online stating their use in homes. It's new to me though, which is why I wanted to get some other opinions. My original intention was to have a 2" shower drain, although these Hepvo traps seem to only come in 1.5". If it matters, IRC is the applicable code for my project.

If this Hepvo trap is not an option, I will most likely raise the shower floor an inch or two to allow room for a standard trap. Or would there be other options?

Thanks

Advertisement

lee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hepvo trap for shower?

Hi Lee12,

I watched a few minutes of the video and I can tell you that it's not part of the plumbing code where I'm from, Canada, and an inspector would make me remove it and replace it with a 2" P trap if I installed one in a reidential setting.

It seems like a great idea, but it's unproven, and therefore why take a chance?

Advertisement

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #3

Hepvo trap for shower?

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured - oh well.

I had another idea, although I doubt this would fly either. Adjacent to the 2x6 floor is a 2x12 floor (this is the addition that I just put on). I could run a sloped 2" pipe from the shower to the 2x12 space and put the trap there (would be no more than 2' from the shower drain). The problem is that the trap would need to loop back around on itself to go down the wall on the floor below. I'm guessing this is an S trap of some sort and not allowed but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Hepvo trap for shower?

I think I understand what you are suggesting, and it is called a running p-trap. Although it is not the preferred method, (it would be acceptable where I am, not sure about your location) it would protect the shower from sewer gases. The only change you would have to make is substitute the 90 elbow going to the shower with a ty fitting and a cleanout on top of the ty, this will provide you access to clean the trap if necessary.
Dougtheplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #5

Hepvo trap for shower?

Thanks - I'll look into this 'running p trap' a little more, but I'm starting to think my best bet is probably just to raise the shower a little. This site mentions something they call a 'shallow trap though. Looks like it would work but I kind of doubt they're really kosher either. Anybody seen these?

http://www.diydata.com/plumbing/wast...aste_traps.php