Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #1

Share |

Help with water softener

In the pile of manuals the previous owners left us unfortunately there is nothing about the softener system. I cannot find any markings of company or model numbers to research the softener with.

Can you tell me what the controls on this one do and which way to adjust them? Right now it seems to run about every few days, from 3am-5am. I'm ok with the regeneration time of day but my wife finds the water too soft and I think it runs far to often for just having two of us here. This appears to be one that regenerates every so many days, and I'm reading the usage ones are better, but if I can scale the days back on this one I'd like to make it last a while longer instead of replacing it. From the water test during inspection we were told the water had very little "hardness" to it so going through the 4 bags a month that we are seems pretty steep.

Another issue we have is that at the end of its regeneration cycle it makes such a loud water hammer noise that it still wakes me up and we've been here over a month now. The first night it happened I grabbed the Glock and was walking around in my boxers thinking someone was trying to break in! The previous owner came by last week and had a little "haha, does it still do that?". Sounds like someone is grabbing the pipes and shaking them as hard as they can for a second and then letting go (and it vibrates out), like the biggest water hammer I've ever heard. Never does it any other time. Anything in the pics tell you what might cause this? Or how I could fix it? Would a strategically placed air chamber doing anything?

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with water softener-picture-001.jpg   Help with water softener-picture-002.jpg   Help with water softener-picture-003.jpg   Help with water softener-picture-004.jpg   Help with water softener-picture.jpg  

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Help with water softener

Autotrol 255 with the older timer.
Here is the link for the manual
http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com...totrol+255.htm
By the looks of the one part, plastic on the right hand side, orange... there is iron in the water and there is no way to go to 1 or 2 grain.. it is either all or nothing.
it set at 14lbs of salt.
What kind of water level is there in the salt tank?

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #3

Help with water softener

AWESOME thanks for sending me right to the manual. What do you mean exactly by water level in the salt tank? The level in the interior tube is about 18" (and scummy as heck for the record, never looked in there before, do I need to drain and/or clean it?)

The rate the previous owner maintained things it its likely that nothing has ever been cleaned or replaced. Does that air check need to be either cleaned or replaced?

Reading through the manual and looking at the set up I have, the 'skipper pins' are out for 2, 4, and 5. I believe this means it regenerates 4 times a week, on days 1, 3, 6, and 7? Why would they do it three days in a row? If that is true I think I am going to back it down to twice a week and see how we do.

Can't thank you enough for the manual!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Help with water softener

No problem on the manual, I find that most if they have the right manual can trouble shoot most problems.
The water in the brine or salt tank should only be about 12 inches from the bottom, if it is just below an over flow elbow then chances are that the injector, below and behind the salt setting that you took a photo of is plugged and is having a problem in pulling the brine out of the salt tank.
I would try and clean the air check , the one with the little ball that you can not see because of the iron build up and the injector first before replacing.
Now you know the pain of the 7 day wheel.. it is best to figure the heavy water use days and have it clean after them, so if the week end is the heavy then have it clean day 2 or monday with day 1 as sunday then if wednesday is another have it clean on 5.

Some do good maintenance and then there are others that change the oil in their truck or car when??????????????? or they ask ... you need to change the oil?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #5

Help with water softener

I can tackle the cleaning, assuming I don't need to turn off the entire system to do it but I'll check the manual.

What is the "14lbs" of salt pertinent to? Per cycle? How would changing this number affect the water quality? Decreasing the number of cycles is a given but I don't want to play with too many variables all at once.

Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Water Treatment

Help with water softener

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
I can tackle the cleaning, assuming I don't need to turn off the entire system to do it but I'll check the manual.

What is the "14lbs" of salt pertinent to? Per cycle? How would changing this number affect the water quality? Decreasing the number of cycles is a given but I don't want to play with too many variables all at once.

Thanks again!
Some one after my own thoughts in changing only one or two items at a time...
One should make sure that the system is in bypass before working on the valve other wise one takes a shower and is cleaning up lots of water.

The 14lbs is the amount of salt that will be used in the next cleaning cycle provided that the system has put in the correct amount of water and is working with a nearly empty salt tank of water, ie it removed all the water that it could in the brine draw.

I would have to check the photos you posted to see if there is either a bypass on the valve or if there is a 3 valve bypass in the pipes to and from the system.

Looks like there might be, a bit hard to tell.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #7

Help with water softener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
I would have to check the photos you posted to see if there is either a bypass on the valve or if there is a 3 valve bypass in the pipes to and from the system.

Looks like there might be, a bit hard to tell.
Not sure which valve you are referring to; the air check has just the hose in the top and then into the main body of the unit out the bottom. If I understand correctly there is only water pressure through the check during regeneration, is that correct? Does this pic help?

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with water softener-picture2.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Water Treatment

Help with water softener

The photo that you have just posted does show a bypass for the valve, it is the part that is between the copper pipes and the valve body.
By turning each of the little handles from the front to back like they are now to side to side that will put the system in bypass.
If you then start a regen that will remove the pressure of the water within the system.