Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #1

Share |

Help, Toilet drained when washer was pumping

Hi, this is my first time posting. Just a few minutes ago my washer was on spin cycle and pumping water to the main drain. Out of nowhere, the downstairs toiled started gurlgling loud and drained out the water. I ran downstairs and the water was pouring out from around the toilet drain pipe..

There are 2 issues i am trrying to determine here...

1.why did the toilet drain? I feels like some kind of syphoning action is happening here...

2. why would the water come out around the pipe and not just drain into it? Is it possible the wax seal is broken or has even shifted to block the drain? Also, i flushed to toilet after turning of the washer and there was no issue..

lazyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #2

Could be lots of things. A blocked vent will cause water to be sucked out of toilet or sink.
Really need to clean out the drains and the vents.
If water was leaking around the toilet the least you can do is change the wax ring under the toilet.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

Hi, thats what i was thinking too. The one thing that has changed in the system was that i capped off an open recepticle in the drain . This is where the washing machine used to drain to but i relocated it to a higher point in the system (due to moving it accross the room). I had intended to cap it off earlier but forgot and just recently did.

I just picked up a sewer vent for that instead of a cap. Air in, no water out. Hopefully this resolves the issue. I also know that my upstairs sink is pretty heavily clogged so that could also be contributing. I will be cleaning that out thoroughly. Ill report back .

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #4

also i know remember that when we installed the toiled, the pipe coming out of the toilet didnt fit the existing down drain in the floor. We had to find a reducer that sat inside the down drain, so if there was backpressure, the washing machine water could have easily found its way out there then back down into the cellar.