Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #1

Share |

Help with Sump Pump Basin

Hello All,

While adjusting the float on my backup sump pump, I happened to notice a slit/crack in the sidewall of my sump pump basin about 3 inches from the bottom of the pit. The slit/crack itself is barely a few cm tall, but 3 - 4 inches wide. (I should note it has been raining pretty good today, so I was not surprised to hear the sump pump kicking on. ) When I force my sump pump to clear the majority of the water out of the basin, I can really see a good flow of water coming from this crack. Zero water is coming out of the pipe that carries the water from around my foundation and empties into the basin. I expect that flow to occur later today. The pipe is about 6 inches higher than the crack, and sits on the opposite sidewall.

This crack might have been here for years, I bought the house a few years ago and only took notice of this today. My fear is of the crack getting wider and wider, to the point that the sump pump can't keep up with the water flow. Sump pump turns on approximately once every 3 - 5 mins currently.

1) Where is this water coming from? I assume it is just the water under the basement slab that is not making it into the drain pipes around the foundation and found a low spot with an opening.

2) If I attempt to seal the crack, where will the water go? Obviously something caused this slit in the first place, and it might have been the water/ground pressure. If the water can't get in through there, I'm not sure what additional problems I will be creating.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance.
lancestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #2

dont worry about it, you want water to get into your sump basin, when I installed mine I intentionally drilled holes into the basin so that water finds its way in.
alecmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcmahon View Post
dont worry about it, you want water to get into your sump basin, when I installed mine I intentionally drilled holes into the basin so that water finds its way in.
You are picking up ground water from under the slab---not really a problem

Like Alec--I too perforated my pits (3) as where is a problem with a high water table here on occasion--
Old 12-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #4

The sump pump system works better with holes or cracks at the bottom of the basin provided that dirt does not come in with the water.

If there were no holes at the bottom then water would not enter the pit until the water table got high enough that water comes in through the perimeter drain pipes that emptied into the pit.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the many quick replies. You have helped ease my
immediate concerns.

I wish the hole was just drilled, but this is in the sidewall and not the bottom, and was obviously something someone did not purposely do but looks like perhaps some corrosion or pressure did this in. I do notice some rocks and dirt in the bottom of the tank, but that may have been there for a long time and may have come in through the perimeter pipes.

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on the crack because if the width increases I may begin to see dirt finding its way in. Is it at that point that I would replace the basin (is that even possible??)? Or would I be better to try to seal the large crack (with what?) and drill 3 holes in the sidewalls at a similar height?
lancestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on the crack because if the width increases I may begin to see dirt finding its way in. Is it at that point that I would replace the basin (is that even possible??)? Or would I be better to try to seal the large crack (with what?) and drill 3 holes in the sidewalls at a similar height?
Ayuh,... Yer makin' a Big deal over nothing....

Water has to be able to get into the basin to pump it out....
'ell my sump pit don't even have a liner,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote