Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #1

Share |

Help with small leak in bath sink drain

I am asking for some help with a very small leak in a bathroom sink drain. The leak is at the trap joint just before it enters the final drain pipe under the sink. It is all plastic pipe, I just replaced that sink but can't stop the very small leak. I have tightened the joint and then tried to put teflon type tread tape to no avail. The treads on the trap look good. I am looking for some tips. I may try to put silicone on the joint and reassemble. Any other ideas. It is just a couple of drops after and hour or so. Thanks for any ideas. Jim
Binski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binski View Post
I am asking for some help with a very small leak in a bathroom sink drain. The leak is at the trap joint just before it enters the final drain pipe under the sink. It is all plastic pipe, I just replaced that sink but can't stop the very small leak. I have tightened the joint and then tried to put teflon type tread tape to no avail. The treads on the trap look good. I am looking for some tips. I may try to put silicone on the joint and reassemble. Any other ideas. It is just a couple of drops after and hour or so. Thanks for any ideas. Jim
you dont use teflon tape on any of those fitting's Or silicon . Their should be a plastic bushing .Make sure it is in their their right way i bet it isn't. The bevel side should go to the trap and the nut will tighten it down and no leek.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. The front of the fitting that houses the tailpipe does has a plastic bushing, it is installed correctly and does not leak. The back side of the trap is reversed (kinda of upside down) and it does not have a seperate bushing. Perhaps it is missing? I didn't thinK that side had a white plastic bushing like the tailpipe side ?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #4

Binski: Send some pictures. I don't understand the "The back side of the trap is reversed (kinda of upside down) and it does not have a seperate bushing. "
It is ok to use pipe dope and/or teflon tape on plastic fittings. Try the dope first; both if still leaks.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #5

i think i know the pipe you're speaking of. if it is it usually doesn't have a gasket or nylon ring (i'm saying if it is plastic) it usually has a sort of dome at the end of the pipe. these have to be perfectly aligned or they can leak. sometimes it helps if you put a coating of silicone on the dome before snugging it down, but i'd try the alignment first.hth
fullpint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #6

Smile

Thanks for all the replies. I took the pipe apart again (for the upmteenth time) this morning. I looked very closely at the plastic gasket and it had been aligned but there was a small piece broken off inside near the base. It was very hard to see. Got a new part and all is well. The replies were helpful and got me on the right path. Thanks again! Jim
Old 12-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #7

Glad all is well; amazing what a $0.50 piece of new plastic will do.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote