DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help Shower Stall Drain

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
I moved into a slab built house in AZ 2 weeks ago and, after numerous cleanings of the 3/4 bath, I knocked off the shower drain cover only to find this horror beneath. I have no idea how to proceed. I tried to kind of poke the drain pipe back to center but I wasn't able to easily move it. Where is the water even going and for how long? I am horrified and afraid to even call a plumber they might condemn the place :( Would a wingtite fix this if I can get the drain pipe to move to center?

Seems to be the end of a grey plastic pipe then off to the side maybe concrete. Please help!

See less See more
#2 ·
You might get luck---I doubt it,but try removing the drain set and digging out the earth enough to move the drain--if so--then try the wingate drain.

The pipe looks a bit low---

A plumber will not condemn the place---but might tell you the shower pan needs to be removed to correct the drain---

#6 ·
No biggy
See the white ring with the raised surfaces.
Cross 2 flat blade screw drivers catch the raised surfaces and turn it counter clock wise until you have it full removed. Under it there is a rubber remove it.

Now get yourself a long flat screwdriver place it down the pipe and pop it back into the hole. While holding it with the screw driver you have in the pipe. Your going to cock the long screw driver. to put pressure on the pipe place the rubber back in and have a friend push it in alongside the pipe with other screw drivers. Put the white plastic thing back on and screw it in tight with the crossed screw drivers .

#7 ·
Need more help!

I'm so sorry the movers took 2 weeks to deliver my things and I couldn't do much with the $1.99 emergency screwdriver I had :(

Today I organized the garage and, as I came across tools, I took a wack at this. In the meantime I did order and receive a Wingtite.

I was able to screw driver off the first part but the rest I just cut a pie and pulled it out. There was some plastic thread or something on the outside of the pipe too that is half off now.

The problem is about as bad as I thought it would be though. Something happened and what looks like clean fill is all down the side of the pipe pushing it over so I can't get it back in place. It starts about a foot down I have a rod I don't know what it is a bit thicker than a coat hanger I was trying to tap in in there and loosen it up and flip the material over to the tight side but so far I can get the top of the drain pipe to move maybe 1/4" and I need it to move a good 1" :(

It looks like a bad irrigation system accident at one time flushed a bunch of water under the slab to this drain hole. It is about 20" from an outside wall and the irrigation system is right there on the other side of the wall. The owners told me it worked but just needed to be hooked up. It is missing the 4 valves and I haven't had time to look at it yet.

How can I move this packed in material on the side of the pipe to get the shower drain back together and, if I can do that, is there anything I can do to repair the sort of tunnel that is under the slab now? At first I thought maybe and animal had dug in there but I'm pretty sure it was water damage. It is dry now even though there has been a lot of rain so I don't think the problem will occur again if I can fix it now.

Thanks for any help or advice. I have 3 weeks to fix it now.

#8 ·
You might be able to loosen up the soil with an auger bit----

Look in the drill bit section in the store---you will find long spiral auger bits---just be careful not to hit the P-trap or lateral line-(might want to dull the point)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.