Help With A Rough-in Basement - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Help with a rough-in Basement

Hello,

I am a new home owner and i am looking to put a 3 piece bathroom in the basement.

I have a few question before i get a plumber in and give me the run around. I just want to be prepared. I have included a Picture.

1. The main pipe going up is the Vent, i assume. Can i run a Pipe (past the toliet) to the left for the sink Drain and connect it to the vent?

2. The 4 inch white pipe has a 2 inch pipe inside of it. What will that pipe be for? Its that something for a shower? If not do you have any idea what i can do.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Help with a rough-in Basement-dsc05281.jpg  

Advertisement

hello18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #2

Here is a picture on the white pipe. looking down.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with a rough-in Basement-dsc05280.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

1) Yes, but no more than 5 feet from the trap to the vent on an 1 1/2" horizontal waste line. If the horizontal waste arm is longer than that, you need to "re-vent" or install a relief vent that ties back into the vent stack at a height no less than 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture served.

That "tee" on the vertical vent pipe is there for the waste arm of the sink. BUT...you need to measure the distance from the wall (rough framing) to the centerline of the toilet drain. The standard is 12", and if you only have 12" (or less) in this particular case, then it won't work because the vent pipe and the waste arm are in front of (rather than inside) the wall. If the centerline of the toilet it 15 1/2" (or more) from the existing framing, then the original installer probably intended for another framed partition that will hide the pipes: 15 1/2" minus 3 1/2" (the actual width of a nominal 2" x 4" stud) = 12".

2) The 2" pipe inside the 4" sleeve is for the shower drain. Why they left it right there directly next to the vent stack is a mystery; it's pretty useless where it is right now. Realistically, you'll have to jackhammer up some of the concrete and extend the drain to the proper shower location - (no further than 6 feet from the vent to the trap on a 2" line).

Last edited by Ishmael; 10-25-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ishmael For This Useful Post:
hello18 (10-25-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 11:57 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I thought that it seemed weird for the shower drain to be that close to the vent stack.

The wall behind the toilet pipe is 21.5 inches to its center. The center of the vent stack is 5 inches from the wall.

Also can you be advise me on what the reason for the 45degree section at the bottom of the vent stack is for?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

"The wall behind the toilet pipe is 21.5 inches to its center. The center of the vent stack is 5 inches from the wall."

Right...so you'll have to build another partition 12" back from the centerline of the toilet, or else the back of your toilet will end up being 9 1/2" from the wall. (I usually recommend making it 12 1/2" to the centerline just to give yourself some margin for error).

"Also can you be advise me on what the reason for the 45degree section at the bottom of the vent stack is for?"

That's just a clean-out for rodding in case of a clog in the underground plumbing. When all is said and done, you should try to leave access to that clean-out. If that's not possible, the toilet itself can be used as a clean-out, but you'd have to pull the toilet in order to access the drain line.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ishmael For This Useful Post:
hello18 (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #6

Thanks, I will be sure to remove the drywall behind the wall so I will have access to the clean out. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement

Tags
basement , plumbing , rough in