Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 05:59 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 719
Share |
Default

Help!!! Roto-rooter cable is now stuck in sewer line and won't come out!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
quote" Now I get to reset the two toilets and then take a good, long, hot shower. For the past 2 months I had to shower in just a trickle of water, now I know why. No reason to continue that now, the main line is clean as a whistle and I can get a decent flow going"

I am trying to understand what the main line would have to do with the flow of the shower??
What does your quote have to do with this thread?? You sure you didn't confuse it with another one you were writing to??

SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #17
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,885
Default

Help!!! Roto-rooter cable is now stuck in sewer line and won't come out!!!


he hasnt been able to use a lot of water because main was backing up
plummen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
DIY Junkie!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: split between Houston, TX and SW KS.
Posts: 223
Default

Help!!! Roto-rooter cable is now stuck in sewer line and won't come out!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I am trying to understand what the main line would have to do with the flow of the shower??
The main line was so stopped up with roots that it would not drain, or at least if it did it was like water seeping through a sponge, VERY slowly....at times all I would need to do to end up with sewage and water standing in the tub was to pour a 3 gallon bucket of water into the dry tub or even just flush the toilet. I could take a VERY short shower at very low flow after letting the sewer line drain all night, but even at a low flow the main line would back up quickly (b/c it couldn't drain as fast as the water was exiting the tub) and leave me standing in raw sewage. The only way I could get a shower was to use a very low flow to get wet, stop the shower while I lathered up, then rinse very quickly with a low flow. Believe me, looking down while showering only to find that the tub is filling up with water, mixed with raw sewage, is absolutely NOT the way to get clean!

Last night was totally different--I could shower at full flow and flush the toilet at the same time and no backup, just like it was before the roots invaded that union.

It wasn't a deficiency in the shower's ability to deliver a full flow, thank goodness (I don't need those kind of problems, too )!!

Dugly
YerDugliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #19
Learning by Doing
 
Leah Frances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Easton, Maryland
Posts: 3,156
Blog Entries: 7
Default

Help!!! Roto-rooter cable is now stuck in sewer line and won't come out!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post

Last night was totally different--I could shower at full flow and flush the toilet at the same time
This is considered torture at my house.

Thanks for clearing that up! It might not have been clear for some.
__________________
If I could only remember to THINK about what I was doing before I did it.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #20
DIY Junkie!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: split between Houston, TX and SW KS.
Posts: 223
Default

Help!!! Roto-rooter cable is now stuck in sewer line and won't come out!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
This is considered torture at my house.
I LOL , Leah, really! Thanks for that!

Yeah, I am fortunate, my home doesn't have problems with scalding when a second cold water source is used.

I did reach out and flush the toilet a few times in rapid succession as I showered last night just to test-check the flow capacity of the sewer repair. Worked fine! I've been pouring various "Draino" type products down the drain for the past 2 months with little success, and finally NO success, so having the city come fix it was the only option.

Like you, I really appreciate that the city stepped up, but I knew they would not have done so until I had tried all options and not been able to resolve the issue.

Once they saw that water standing for 2 hours at the top of the clean-out, they were convinced, AND they were quick to get into action.

I never dreamed that getting that Roto-rooter stuck in the main line would be an issue, though! Live and learn !!

Dugly
YerDugliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 22
Default

Help!!! Roto-rooter cable is now stuck in sewer line and won't come out!!!


What a story! Sometimes it just pays to have a pro do the work. My 2nd bath was being tiled Monday and Monday nite BR # 2 decided to stop up and back raw sewage into the tub--not good since I have only 2 bathrooms. Called a plumber that AM and he was there in an hour. I would not have tried to run a roto router myself. I am glad you got the poblem resolved but you are really braver than I am.
Bevgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:04 AM   #22
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,637
Default

Help!!! Roto-rooter cable is now stuck in sewer line and won't come out!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
The main line was so stopped up with roots that it would not drain, or at least if it did it was like water seeping through a sponge, VERY slowly....at times all I would need to do to end up with sewage and water standing in the tub was to pour a 3 gallon bucket of water into the dry tub or even just flush the toilet. I could take a VERY short shower at very low flow after letting the sewer line drain all night, but even at a low flow the main line would back up quickly (b/c it couldn't drain as fast as the water was exiting the tub) and leave me standing in raw sewage. The only way I could get a shower was to use a very low flow to get wet, stop the shower while I lathered up, then rinse very quickly with a low flow. Believe me, looking down while showering only to find that the tub is filling up with water, mixed with raw sewage, is absolutely NOT the way to get clean!

Last night was totally different--I could shower at full flow and flush the toilet at the same time and no backup, just like it was before the roots invaded that union.

It wasn't a deficiency in the shower's ability to deliver a full flow, thank goodness (I don't need those kind of problems, too )!!

Dugly
Got it now, thanks for the explaination, what a mess!

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.