Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #1

Share |

Help? Replacing water shut off valves

As an inexperienced, but eager DIY'er, I've decided to replace a crummy pedestal sink with a little vanity. When I went to shut off the water supply to the sink, the hot water side shut off, but then proceeded to start to drip (it is dripping off the shut off valve, but I'm not sure where on the valve it is coming from.
The cold water valve is really hard to turn, and within me even giving it a quarter turn, it was dripping as well.
I'm thinking that I might need to replace the shut off valves, and I'm not opposed to that if someone would be kind enough to suggest the steps and "parts" I might need. I'm hoping this involves no soldering, as that is beyond me at this point.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

frozenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Best I can tell from the pics...those valves appear to be soldered on. If they are you will have to drain the water & get the torch out to un sweat the valves

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #3

Well, that is way beyond my skill level & I have no tools to do such a thing. Guess I will be calling a plumber.
Thanks for your comment.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #4

As an "inexperienced, but eager DIY'er" (your words) :-), you'll have to get past any anxieties about soldering, but this is probably the best place to learn, since it's hard enough to get under a sink as it is. But, before calling the plumber, you might try opening the valves, and then GENTLY tightening the nut under the handle that threads onto the valve body. Generally speaking, valves used in this application are not always of the best quality, and it is not uncommon for them to leak when used. Sometimes you can get by with tightening that packing nut. And, if they only leak when you shut them off, oh well, no rush, because you probably won't be shutting them off again for a number of years, and maybe you'll be able to do them yourself by then. Just 2 cents worth.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
frozenmama (09-28-2010)
Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #5

I'm eager, but not foolish. I have just bought my first home, and have minimal experience with home improvements. Almost all of the projects I've done in the house has been with the help I've gotten on forums like this.
I have never laid hands on anything to do with soldering, a blow torch, etc. I'm all for giving something a try, learning as I go. But playing with fire just feels out of my comfort zone.

Thank you for the suggestion of the packing nut. Perhaps I can shut off water to the house, remove the sink and access the top of the valve to tighten it as you suggested.
The valves are both still leaking now with the water turned on - it is a slow leak, just odd drips every few minutes. I suppose I'm going to have to see just how eager (and brave) I am.