DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help Repairing a 25 Year Old Delta Shower Faucet

19K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  plumber Jim 
#1 ·
I have replaced the springs and O-rings in our showers several times, but this time I'm stumped. I can post pictures if needed and I probably am not using the correct part term but I'll do my best.

This faucet is the single, crystal knob-type handle, without pressure balancing. It has the chrome plated-nylon lined compression nut, another fitting that sits inside of that, brass cartridge and stem, and the white nylon stem 'guide' is oblong.

I had no problem removing the compression nut, the nylon 'guide' for the cartridge, the cartridge, and the old O-rings and springs. The new parts installed in a jiffy.

The faucet shuts the water off completely; however, when the faucet is turned on, water comes out around the cartridge and thru the white nylon 'guide'.

What have I missed? Or have we just not tightened the compression nut tightly enough?

At least we have water service and a 2nd shower to use in the meantime. :censored:

#2 · (Edited)
The threaded nylon/plastic ring with the two opposing slots in it inside the domed compression cap opening adjusts to tighten down on the seats-and-springs to prevent such leaking.
Use a Delta tool made for the purpose (comes with most rebuild bubble packs), or the ends of a pair of needle-nose pliers in those two slots to turn the adjusting ring clockwise to tighten it, and counter-clockwise to loosen it.
With the water running, tighten the ring just enough to stop it from leaking. If you over-tighten it, it makes it harder to operate the faucet and it wears out the seats-and-springs faster. Easy. If the cap and plastic ring threads are cruded up with calcium, etc., just spritz them with WD-40.
Good Luck!
Mike

#3 ·
Hopefully I've uploaded a pic of the part that came off my shower.

It has 4 slots instead of two, and does not appear to come apart from the chrome piece.

Last year I replaced everything from the inside out. I relied on the folks at the plumbing parts store to sell me the correct parts.

Is it possible that I should have bought a separate threaded nylon ring to put in place before installing the chrome part?

Attachments

#5 ·
The chrome ring and the nylon adjusting part with the little notches are all one piece. It never quits leaking, even when it's tightened so much that you can't turn the water on.

I got hold of the Delta help line and it appears I am missing a piece of packing and a cam. So it's off to the plumbing supply parts tomorrow morning to see what we can see.

Thanks to all who tried to help. I love this site and know that I can get solid information.

:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.