Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #1

Share |

Help reassembling Moen Monticello Roman tub facuet

So I completely tore out my shower/bath area and rebuilt it and I am trying to finish the last little thing to be completely done. I have a spa tub with a Moen Monticello Roman tub faucet and I cannot figure out how to reassemble it so that it doesn't leak. I've tried putting the pieces back a couple different ways and putting the plumbers putty in a couple different ways and it's still leaking. I took everything a apart about a year and a half ago so I honestly can't remember how it goes back together (yes, I work slow). Below are some pictures of what I have and the different pieces... can anyone here tell me how to put them back and in what order? I also can't figure out where/how to put that o-ring back... it doesn't seem to fit anywhere. I saw it listed on the Moen parts list for that faucet so I ordered one but don't see where it goes... any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Help reassembling Moen Monticello Roman tub facuet-imag0143.jpg   Help reassembling Moen Monticello Roman tub facuet-imag0142.jpg  

keybrdcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #2

http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/expl...ews/t951pt.pdf

Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Yes I saw that already plus the installation guide but it's still not working for me.... I am hoping someone out here has done this before and can give me some additional tips... thanks.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #4

The brass shank for the spout must be 1 5/8" min to 2 7/8 inch above your tile. If it is then the seal O rings in your spout are bad or the brass shank has a deep scratch. If it is the spout contact moen they have a lifetime warranty on all parts and also finish of the faucet.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
The brass shank for the spout must be 1 5/8" min to 2 7/8 inch above your tile. If it is then the seal O rings in your spout are bad or the brass shank has a deep scratch. If it is the spout contact moen they have a lifetime warranty on all parts and also finish of the faucet.
Hmmm.... my spout is 1 1/8 above the tile... so that might be a problem. One question I have... According to the Moen install directions (http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/inst...s/ins1685c.pdf), they reference a tool (just labeled "I") that can be used to adjust shank height. Looks like a square rod or piece of wood or something. Is it possible to adjust my shank height and get it within spec?

The other question I had was that I can push the spout down and it won't go down any further, but it's not the deck that is stopping it from going down further. I took a picture to reference what I am talking about. I have clear space all the way around and under the spout rolling pin (?). What is stopping the spout from going down? My thinking is that even if my spout was higher and in spec the spout still wouldn't go down any further.

I also took a picture of my o-ring inside the spout... not a great picture and I don't know if it means anything. Doesn't look to be ripped or torn or anything...

Any ideas to help me out? Much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Help reassembling Moen Monticello Roman tub facuet-imag0145.jpg   Help reassembling Moen Monticello Roman tub facuet-imag0146.jpg  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #6

Your going to have to push the faucet up under the deck some how. Make sure you use a little plumbers grease on the O rings prior to inserting it on that brass do hickey so you don't damage the o rings in the spout. Ho[efully you left a way to get back under the tub. The tool you might get from moen, Its made by them.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 05-16-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #7

Okay, in case anyone cares or was following this... this is on a spa tub, so I do happen to have access to the under side of the tub faucet. So what I did was cut the copper tubing feeding the faucet and installed the Sharkbite flexible water supply connector (really like those Sharkbite connectors). The package said it was okay to use those connectors as long as it was accessible so I went for it. So now the spout is now sitting at 2.25 inches above the tile so hopefully that part will be okay. I somehow stripped one of the plastic handle adapter things that was on there so now I have to wait for a replacement to come in... hopefully all goes well! Thanks... I'll post back when I get it all buttoned up...
Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #8

Good going bro!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #9

Okay, after more time and frustration, I have it all put together BUT the spout is still leaking. I took it back apart and I noticed that I messed the o-ring up!! I had to push real hard and wiggle it back and forth to get it on the spout (after using silicone grease on the rubber o ring) and then I noticed the leak.

So now two questions:

First and most important, can you replace the o-ring that is in the spout? Seems to be in there pretty good. I did buy the o-ring kit but I'm not seeing how one would get that out and replace it and neither could I find anything on the internets that showed me how.

Second question, how do I prevent this in the future? The spout coming out of the deck doesn't seem to be sharp or burred anywhere so I'm not sure how it cut the rubber... any ideas for that?

Thanks again for everyone's help....almost there!