Help-Pressure Relief Valve Running Water Constantly - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Help-Pressure Relief Valve running water constantly

Hi all. After a 10 hour blackout here at -20 celsius, my old boiler won't get up above 8psi and the relief valve has a steady stream of water coming out of it. Suffice to say, 8psi isnt going to get water up to three floors of rads!

I have reviewed the info here and on other sites and believe it is a faulty valve. My question is what are the steps to safely replace the valve. I tried to reseat it to no avail.

So...I picked up an exact replacement today and from what I have read all that is involved is shut off boiler, cool down, shut off intake, and replace valve. Any other advice?

Thanks!

Advertisement

janhuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

call a plumber

you might have to drain your boiler below that relief valve so you would want to to shut all the valves leading to the other zones. After you swap it out, refill and open the valves again youre going to have a lot of air in the system that you'll have to bleed out.

good luck

Advertisement

II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #3

thanks.

I'm going to try: Power off to the boiler. Shut off water to the boiler. Shut off zone supply. Drain the boiler till no pressure and below the relief valve level. Replace valve. Turn water back on. Turn zone supply on. Turn power on. Then spend a whack of time bleeding rads.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #4

Success!! After a quick phone consult with my HVAC buddy, I isolated the boiler and replaced the valve. All floors now hot and full. Pressure is a little high (25psi), so now I need to figure out why. I have read about the old ceiling expansion tanks being waterlogged so that will be my first check. Can someone (instead of my buddy) remind me of the basic steps to adjust high pressure? Thanks again!

Tags
boiler , pressure , relief , valve