Help With Plumbing Repair Needed/ Landlord Claims... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with plumbing repair needed/ landlord claims...

I have lived in my apartment since January 2012. Twice within the past two months the tenant below us has reported a leak which the landlord found was coming from the pipes behind our shower. The first time he came and fixed it (after cutting a huge hole in our wall that was never repaired completely) and didnt say a word about what was wrong besides, "pipes and tub faucet." Now this second time he put on a temporary spout for the tub but we have been unable to use our shower for an entire week. When I called today to see when we would be able to use our shower again, he began yelling and stated that the issue was our fault and that it was a broken tub faucet. He stated that he doesnt know how we have managed to break two tub faucets but that he is going to start charging us. I requested that an independent plumber look at the issue (at my cost) as a second opinion and the landlord declined. My question.... How in the world would we be breaking a tub faucet with normal showering? We do not take baths, do not horse around in the bathtub... Since I moved in the shower head has leaked when the tub is turned on, so I am wondering if there is an issue with the diverter? The first time that the landlord "repaired" the leak he did not replace the existing tub spout. He left the old tub spout on and made repairs to something in the actual wall. A repairman where I work has told me that it sounds like the wrong type of plumbing is being used (plastic hookups when it should be copper?) Any suggestions?

Advertisement

rlsayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsayers View Post
I have lived in my apartment since January 2012. Twice within the past two months the tenant below us has reported a leak which the landlord found was coming from the pipes behind our shower. The first time he came and fixed it (after cutting a huge hole in our wall that was never repaired completely) and didnt say a word about what was wrong besides, "pipes and tub faucet." Now this second time he put on a temporary spout for the tub but we have been unable to use our shower for an entire week. When I called today to see when we would be able to use our shower again, he began yelling and stated that the issue was our fault and that it was a broken tub faucet. He stated that he doesnt know how we have managed to break two tub faucets but that he is going to start charging us. I requested that an independent plumber look at the issue (at my cost) as a second opinion and the landlord declined. My question.... How in the world would we be breaking a tub faucet with normal showering? We do not take baths, do not horse around in the bathtub... Since I moved in the shower head has leaked when the tub is turned on, so I am wondering if there is an issue with the diverter? The first time that the landlord "repaired" the leak he did not replace the existing tub spout. He left the old tub spout on and made repairs to something in the actual wall. A repairman where I work has told me that it sounds like the wrong type of plumbing is being used (plastic hookups when it should be copper?) Any suggestions?
the guy sounds like a jerk....give him 30 day notice....no really move don't take that crap...there are other places to rent find one...ben

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
plummen (05-23-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Contact the local Renters overseeing agency and report not only the so called maintenance guy, but the ownership of the unit and then give 30 days notice, and cut your losses and get out. As for the shower head leaking when you turn on the faucet, it could just be that whoever installed it, possibly used undersized piping, not what was actually called for by the manufacturer.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 624

Stop resting your leg on the spout when you shave your legs.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

call the city plumbing inspector after you give your 30 day notice and tell them an unlicensed plumber is working on your building.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plummen For This Useful Post:
a_lost_shadow (05-24-2012), ben's plumbing (05-23-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
call the city plumbing inspector after you give your 30 day notice and tell them an unlicensed plumber is working on your building.
Ouch.........

But I like it....

Oh, the joys of renting......

BTW....if you plan on giving your 30 day's notice....take plenty of pics now and document....chances are he will use every excuse he can to not refund your deposit.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Unfortunately I'm stuck in the rest of a 1 year lease.... I attempted to call him again today and again I was told that he would get to it when he gets to it. He said that a shower is a "privledge" and that he didn't know what I was trying to prove by calling again. I was trying to prove that a shower is a basic necessity for living and that going a full week without one and having the cost of driving 20 min each way to my parents house to shower every day with my three year old is not ok. He also threatened that there would be major repurcussions if it happens again because he has a business downstairs and its "easy peasy" to rent out the apartment. So now... how can I protect myself and prove for future reference that I am not damaging the pipes or tub spout? He has already mentioned eviction if I hire a professional plumber to come in and give a second opinion. (My landlord owns a general contracting company and he or a young boy that works for him are the ones doing the repairs to my plumbing.)
rlsayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,624

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm stuck in the rest of a 1 year lease.... I attempted to call him again today and again I was told that he would get to it when he gets to it. He said that a shower is a "privledge" and that he didn't know what I was trying to prove by calling again. I was trying to prove that a shower is a basic necessity for living and that going a full week without one and having the cost of driving 20 min each way to my parents house to shower every day with my three year old is not ok. He also threatened that there would be major repurcussions if it happens again because he has a business downstairs and its "easy peasy" to rent out the apartment. So now... how can I protect myself and prove for future reference that I am not damaging the pipes or tub spout? He has already mentioned eviction if I hire a professional plumber to come in and give a second opinion. (My landlord owns a general contracting company and he or a young boy that works for him are the ones doing the repairs to my plumbing.)
I would be contacting a renter advocacy organisation- get some local legal advice
gregzoll (05-24-2012), plummen (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

You need to hire a lawyer that is familiar with Tennant's rights laws, especially renting, and have them go over the lease. If the deposit was not that much, I would wash my hands and look for another place immediately at this point. Also report the LL to the county & city, along with contacting the agency that overseas renters rights in your city or state.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
plummen (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,048

Can you rig up a sprayer hose to the tub spout and hang the sprayer on the shower spout above to use as a shower?

If the landlord later claims you broke something you can certainly say there was nothing visibly broken at all so the landlord has no business charging you with damage.

Things inside the wall are the landlord's responsibility unless the landlord can prove what you did that would break something.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,542

Quote:
you have the right to leave after 30 days notice...explaining shower does not work...when you rented the place all items were working...right... thats what I thougth....so as a landlord he has to mantain them....how long left on lease......
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
plummen (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Ask him if he knows the number for the city building department,I wonder how easy it would be to rent ant apt in a condemned building?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to plummen For This Useful Post:
a_lost_shadow (05-25-2012), ben's plumbing (05-27-2012), gregzoll (05-24-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 526

OP does not state where they live but I believe most major cities have rental advocate agencies. Start there and find out what your rights are as a renter IN YOUR JURISDICTION. Don't call the landlord anymore. Communicate through written documentation.

b

Advertisement

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote