Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #1

Share |

Help new toilet to close to wall

I am getting a new house built and they put the toilet in the bathroom today. I quickly noticed it was not centered between the wall and vanity. If you sit on the toilet you would hit your left arm on the toilet paper holder. It also looks bad. What kind of work will this entail? Is there a pretty easy fix? Just guessing, but I think it needs moved about 6-10 inches. Will the builder be responsible for fixing?
Jefftra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftra View Post
I am getting a new house built and they put the toilet in the bathroom today. I quickly noticed it was not centered between the wall and vanity. If you sit on the toilet you would hit your left arm on the toilet paper holder. It also looks bad. What kind of work will this entail? Is there a pretty easy fix? Just guessing, but I think it needs moved about 6-10 inches. Will the builder be responsible for fixing?
A toilet needs to be 15" from it's center- to the side wall or vanity. Thats code in my area. If it is within that 15" rule then they are compliant and the rest is cosmetic only
Perhaps there is a floor joist in the way? Moving it may involve opening a ceiling below, cutting out floor,, new pipe ect.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #3

I went in the house across the street, same exact house and it is on center unlike ours. It is definitely to close to the wall for comfort.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Will the builder be responsible for fixing?

1 and most imporantly : What does the building plan show?

2 : Did you discuss the location of the toilet with the builder during the framing stage?

3 : As e-plumber mentioned, is there a joist or beam in the way that would have to be cut out, and cause further footings to be set below the floor system?

Again, 15" from centerline of toilet to sidewall is minimum by UPC.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #5

Quote:
is this on 1st or 2nd floor....6-10" is really off.. I would bring it to the builders attention...not really an easy fix...ben sr
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #6

It's on the 1st floor. I didn't discuss anything about the placement of it. Never thought they would do this. I'm sure it was not on purpose. Like I said the house across the street, same model is just fine and centered. Im just guessing on the 6-10 because I didn't have a tape measure. I will tomorrow. I already sent a notice to the builder. They will have to fix even if it's not an easy fix.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #7

I think the joist are running in a direction where it wouldnt effect moving it. Have to go by tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Trying to think of reasons why I would put a closet flange 6 " - 10 " off, and I just can't think of any other than the reasons listed above.

That's not to say there aren't some real smart ones out there who would just make a blatant mistake like that, but perhaps the vanity cabinet size changed somewhere along the line and nobody told the plumber?

Keep us posted, i'm interested in what happened.
ben's plumbing (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #9

if its on the 1st floor ...its eaiser than the 2 nd floor.....how about the floor around commode....?????it will need repaired....or replaced???????ben sr
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #10

Ok here is the latest. I emailed the builder and he said no problem. Thats an easy fix. I went over tonight and measured. Looks like it needs to be moved about 3.5 inches. Here is a picture. Also I looked in the basement. THere is nothing that will prevent moving the hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Help new toilet to close to wall-toilet-3.jpg   Help new toilet to close to wall-toilet-1.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jefftra For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (10-09-2012)