Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #1

Share |

Help with neutralizer!

We have acidic water and a neutralizer to deal with it. Water coming into the house tested at 50 ppm for hardness. Water coming out of the neutralizer tested at 190 ppm. In addition, after having a new neutralizer installed about 8 months ago we started finding granules in the shower head and faucet that are causing water flow to slow and I need to remove and clean out frequently. Not sure what to do: the neutralizer people are a family business and the son who makes the house calls is an idiot. The problem is caused by them by I don't know if I should just call someone else to fix this or if there's something I can do on my own to resolve this. Are there different mixes of the neutralizing material that generate different levels of hardness to treat the acidic water? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

quevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Help with neutralizer!

The increase in hardness is normal as the water passes through the calcite to correct the ph it breaks down the calcite and adds hardness to the water so that part is normal.
Media getting into the house is NOT normal.
The bottom of the distributor tube could have a crack in it or there could be a crack some place in the tube, but my money would be on the end of the tube with the correct increase in hardness.

Is this what is called an up flow or down flow with control valve to backwash?

There is one way of correcting the ph with out the media,, it is soda ash and water mix getting pumped into the water stream.. With that you need to maintain a chem pump and mix the water and soda ash how often is depending on correction needed and water usage and size of holding tank that is used to hold soda ash and water mix.

The simple way is the way you are doing it, but there is the increase in hardness.

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote