Help Needed Figuring Waste Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help needed figuring waste drain

Although I am a contractor I tend to rely on my plumber to figure out most of this stuff. Unfortunately he is on his honemoon as I remodel my master bath. So I opened up the floor as my wife decided to relocate the toilet during what was supposed to be a real quick upgrade. Unfortunately there was alot more plumbing than I was expecting and not sure the best way to tackle this. I hope these pics show the location marked on the subfloor of where the toilet is being moved if not I will post one. On this run there appears to be the sink drain which is just to the right of whats pictured. To the left of the pic is a wall which seperates the 2 upstairs bathrooms. The 2" line coming from the left turns in up in the dividing wall and I am unsure why. The 2" on the right goes to the sink drain and I believe also connects to the vent.

My idea was to cut out this connection and rebuild it the exact same way only further left and then 90 over to where the toilet will now sit. This would require me notching 3 joists and blocking in for support. One of my guys suggested I add several 45's using the pipe as is and turn back to where I am trying to fit. Then theres the latest problem I have found. There was a light box above the old basin. Included in this basin was part of the vent and 45'ed over to a horizontal run in the ceiling and over to the vent. I need to put this back in the wall but I fear my only option may be to 90 it directly horizontal with the vent and I dont know how a 90 works for venting. Hopefully the pics show all this better.

Advertisement

Painterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #3

Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,290

Good pictures----but two more will help--

Stand back and get a wide shot that shows the entire thing if possible---

And one with the location for the new toilet----use a hat or something--tape? to show the new toilet center in relation to the 3" main drain----
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,618

The vertical 2" going left is the toilet vent. My code allows 6ft between that tee and the toilet flange, so you can extend it.
The vent above the lav can go back in the wall using 90's- it's a dry vent.
Are you sure you want to notch joists? You say you're a contractor so I won't say anymore about what a notch can do to the structual integrity
Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #6

Heres a few more pics. Great to hear thats a dry vent and I can fix it with a 90. I am unsure why it connects to the roof vent and also continues across the attic under the insulation. I havent followed it all the way over but I am curious what it could end into as theres nothing over there that I am aware of.

I am a little worried about notching those joists but I will add and brace in where I can. Luckily its in an area where there is other supporting walls just below and I can utilize bracing to rest upon these. My main issue is obviously the waste drain. I dont know if I should moved everything left and 90 over to the new location or add 45s from its current location and bring everything back over. The plumbing drains left. The little flashlight denotes the new location.

Advertisement