Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Jack of all trades

Send a message via Yahoo to danrb007
Share |

Help moving drains for bathroom remodel

Hey everyone. I am in the process of remodeling the basement bathroom in our house in Cheyenne, Wyoming. It was origanlly very small and we are making it about 3 times the size. A 43" X 6'5" shower with double heads, A whirlpool tub, and a 7' counter with double sink. I am attaching some pictures of the room. My question is I need to move the shower drain about 2' (which I don't think is a problem) (the shower is were the ladder is in the picture). My problem is the sinks and tub drains. To the right of the toilet is a loop of pipe where the original sink was. I need to move drains to the wall at the right for the double sink and tub. I am presuming the loop was the vent for the sink. I am thinking I jack hammer the floor at that loop to the right going to the wall and then trench it along the wall for the 2 sinks and the tub. So how do I vent for the new location of the sinks and the tub? The tub will be at the end of the sink counter so there will be 3 drains on that line. There is a bedroom above so I can't take a vent up to the roof. Do I run a line up to the floor joists and outside then up along the outside of the house to the roof? Are there other options that are allowed by code? What size pipe would I use? Is the line that is there for the original sink big enough for the 2 sinks and the tub? Help moving drains for bathroom remodel-2011-06-30_07-19-09_393-scaled.jpg

Help moving drains for bathroom remodel-2011-06-30_07-19-20_79-scaled.jpg

Help moving drains for bathroom remodel-2011-06-30_07-19-37_354-scaled.jpg

danrb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #2

You will need a 2" drain for the 2 lavs, 1 tub when served by 1 pipe. Each of these fixtures can be piped in 1.5" drains by themselves. They should vent through the roof and not out the side wall. Perhaps up through a closet (build a chase around it) and then through the roof. If your allowed in your area, use an mech vent. Prolly didn't answer all your questions, but its a start

TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Jack of all trades

Send a message via Yahoo to danrb007

Thank you for the reply. It looks like the old sink drain is 2" cast so I should be able to dig down, eliminate that drain and extend it with 2"PVC. Does it make a difference whether I use black PVC or white PVC? Where the sinks and tub drain will be is along that wall on the right (the drywall is leaning against it). Directly above that is the middle of a bedroom. I would have to come along the floor joist to get to a closet that I can go up. If permitted can I use AAV's? Do I need one for each drain or will one in the center of the run be sufficient? If I have to do a conventional vent do I position it in the center of the run. It could be lined up with the right hand sink so about 3 feet from the left hand sink and about 3 feet from the tub drain. What is the distance allowed for a vent from a drain?
danrb007 is offline   Reply With Quote