Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Help me locate a water line for my icemaker, PLEASE!

Hey everyone. I need help doing what should be a simple task (but of course I have had curveballs thrown at me). I need to install a water supply line for an icemaker in our forthcoming fridge.

Here is our floorplan:

As you can see, the fridge backs onto the garage wall. It should be mentioned that the floor is all ceramic tile, and the basement is 100% finished in drywall (no drop ceiling).

There is a garden hose tap in the garage, approximately below where the "M" is in "MW". However, after getting some drywall out of the way inside the garage, that water pipe goes directly through a joist and then I THINK, down into the basement wall. Also, the tap is about 6-10" below the interior floor level, and is located behind cabinets. In short, it's nowhere near "easily" accessible.

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me where my kitchen sink cold water supply line likely runs. I believe the joists run left-right on that floorplan (with a center support beam about between the family room and kitchen.). I don't want to have to drill holes in the tile just to scout a location, because A: tile isn't my forte by any means, and B: If there's an easier way, then why not try that easier way first!

Any help you could provide would be MUCH appreciated!
Thanks!
Eric

curls00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:21 AM   #2
zel

Send a message via AIM to zel

If you have any acess at all to a couple of inches of the pipe going to the hose tap in the garage, then this shouldnt be too hard at all. Pick up an "ice maker install kit", it comes with a long plastic tube and some fittings. It also has this piercing valve that will fit around a 1/2" copper pipe, you will only need to access about 2" of the copper supply pipe to make this connection. Once you have that valve installed, run the plastic line over and drill a small hole through the wall and feed the plastic line through to the fridge. Caulk the holes and make some ice!

zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

What zel said, with this...the vinyl tubing with the kit isn't the most durable, I would look a running the tap from the hose tap to a new ice maker valve box installed behind the fridge. From here use coiled 1/4" copper to the fridge. This would give you an easily accessible shut off, and keep things neat.

If you go the saddle route, I'd leave the hole open a couple of days, as some are prone to very slow leaks at saddle or valve. This would let you monitor it's status. Better yet would be to T into the line and run a piece of copper or PEX to the above suggested valve box.

You could tap into the existing line by using a Shark Bite T, I've used them for a couple of different things...and they are impressive. If you chose to cut the supply line..make sure you support the pipe behind the hose bib, you don't want it to flop around.

Last edited by RippySkippy; 07-12-2007 at 06:50 AM. Reason: mashed the post button too soon...
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zel View Post
If you have any acess at all to a couple of inches of the pipe going to the hose tap in the garage, then this shouldnt be too hard at all. Pick up an "ice maker install kit", it comes with a long plastic tube and some fittings. It also has this piercing valve that will fit around a 1/2" copper pipe, you will only need to access about 2" of the copper supply pipe to make this connection. Once you have that valve installed, run the plastic line over and drill a small hole through the wall and feed the plastic line through to the fridge. Caulk the holes and make some ice!
Depending on what's advisable, I MIGHT have 2" of space, IF I cut out a small section of the joist that the tap pipe comes through. I can't easily access it from above (the 2x4n the way) or below (concrete).

That still leaves me with the problem of finding the darn shutoff valve. I had emailed the previous owner of the house, who tiled the kitchen and finished the basement, and here was his response (the Coles Notes version):
================
  1. <LI class=MsoNormal>I did not note any measurements to locate the water shutoff valve for the garage tap. As we discussed, because there is so much ducting up in the ceiling in that area, I would say the best thing to do is cut into the wall from the garage side right beside the faucet and then just poke a finishing nail down through the drywall to mark where you would cut your hole up through the basement ceiling. Alternatively, you could go look at 3 or 4 Royalton models currently being built and see where they have the shut off valves, do some measurements and then cut your hole based on that.
  2. I did take note of where the cold water supply line for the kitchen sink ran in relation to the fridge area when I was tiling the kitchen floor. And I am quite sure that the line does not run anywhere close to the area directly below the fridge so you cannot simply remove a specific tile to easily access this water line and tap into it for the icemaker. However, if I remember correctly, the water line for the garage tap runs from a T coupling below the island in the kitchen and runs back toward the garage below your fridge area. So, what I would suggest you do is when you locate the shut off valve for the garage tap, cut a hole in your basement ceiling large enough to work in (but still small enough to cover with a cold air return grill), then shut off the main water line to the entire house then turn on all your faucets to ensure you have drained all water from the lines. Then using a hack saw, cut the water line about 4 inches from the shut off valve (along the line opposite the garage tap), put in a copper T using crimp rings on the 3 ends of the fitting, and run a water line directly up to your fridge drilling a 5/8 inch hole through the kitchen floor at the back of your fridge opening and installing another shut off valve along the water line above the kitchen floor - you should check with the city as to where that shut off valve for your fridge needs to be located
==================================

Is his advise solid?

Thanks!
Eric
Old 07-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
Long-Time DIYer

Sounds good to me. Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
Mechanical Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

I like the idea of the icemaker supply box, saddle valves aren't really valves and aren't allowed by many codes. I would cut a small access in the ceiling below and and connect a 1/2" copper take off to the icemaker box. Doing it the right way will only pay off in the end.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I like the idea of the icemaker supply box, saddle valves aren't really valves and aren't allowed by many codes. I would cut a small access in the ceiling below and and connect a 1/2" copper take off to the icemaker box. Doing it the right way will only pay off in the end.
I would have to agree with this. I never liked those saddles. Half of the ones I've ever seen leaked a bit in time.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #8

Hi again guys. I managed to get to my friends' house which is the same model (but reversed). His garage tap is in the same location as ours and he has a drop-ceiling in the basement. We determined that the ductwork in the bulkhead is a good 11" from the wall, so there's about 11" of room to play in. The shutoff valve for his tap was 8" from the wall, directly back from the tap. If these assumptions hold true in my house, then measure-twice, cut-once applies and I'll have access to the supply line for the garage tap, and the shutoff, at the same time. I plan to do something like what RippySkippy said, and install a T into the line BEFORE the shutoff, drill straight up into the subfloor and that will take me into the area underneath my cabinets (actually, the cabinet drawers area right next to the fridge). From there, Keep drilling up into the cabinet itself, where I will feed the 5/8" or 1/2" line, install a separate shutoff for the icemaker, and reduce down to the 1/4" OD required for the icemaker. --> I want to drill into the cabinetry floor rather than move the line over and drill through the tile below the fridge, as I really don't want to risk damaging the tile, and would rather have the shutoff for the icemaker located in the cabinet than behind the fridge where it can get damaged when moving the fridge. <--

Two employees of Home Depot suggested sticking with the VINYL over the COPPER, for the icemaker tubing, because vinyl is more flexible and won't kink (causing leaks) like copper will. I'll go either way based on you guys' suggestions if you can back it up with facts and experience.

Last edited by curls00; 07-19-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:58 PM   #9
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zel View Post
Once you have finished installing this make yourself a nice cool drink with some of your new ice, then call your insurance agent and renew your friendship, because it is only a matter of time before you will need to file a claim for water damage. Copper tubing, copper tubing, copper tubing, capiche?
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:15 AM   #10

vinyl is easier....but as troubleseeker (great screen name for this issue!) said, it's only a matter of time before it leaks. If you still want something flexible and for what ever reason don't want copper, why not use a flood safe line from Watts. I used one last week, worked great.

FWIW, many places don't allow vinyl in apartments because of the risk....it's now up to you.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #11

Sounds good guys. Thanks -- I'll report back in a few weeks when my father in law is here and I/we have time for the project. The fridge was delivered today (looks fantastic!), but we just will live without the icemaker and water for now.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
zel

Send a message via AIM to zel

2 years now, with no issues, but if many others seem to be seeing problems with these, then its probably not a good idea to use them.

zel is offline   Reply With Quote