Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help me figure out this strange bathroom layout

We recently purchased a home with an unfinished basement. There is plumbing for a bathroom, shown in the attached picture. The plumbing is odd, there are three 2" pipes and a 3" pipe. All 2" pipes vent through the same vent. We would like to install a shower or tub. It appears that the previous owners had the same plan as tub and an x are written on the wall (green arrow). However, the nearest 2" pipe is 39" from the wall. I cannot think of a way to have a tub or shower drain into that pipe without tearing up the concrete. Am I overlooking something? Also in the second picture why did they turn the drain along the wall?
Attached Thumbnails
Help me figure out this strange bathroom layout-layout.jpg   Help me figure out this strange bathroom layout-wall.jpg  

ppeetteerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,466

Usually there is a "blockout" in the slab where the shower or tub trap will be installed. The base of the pipe on the right might have a horizontal pipe for the shower. Curious, whats the distance between that pipe and the other plumbing wall?
The drain that turns in the wall is called a trap arm. This is for your lav sink. Cut it and turn out a 90 where you want the lav trap.

TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #3

The distance between walls is 60" or will be when finished.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #4

Just for clarification, the blockout should be a recess in the concrete that I have a pipe sticking out of? or is it a foam insert that has been covered with concrete that I need to break out?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeetteerr View Post
Just for clarification, the blockout should be a recess in the concrete that I have a pipe sticking out of? or is it a foam insert that has been covered with concrete that I need to break out?
It's probably the foam insert. Usually you can see the foam or the box that was used to blockout the slab
TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #6

So I put this project off as long as possible. Its finally time to begin.

I have tried looking for a knockout but haven;t found one. I assume I will have to start cutting concrete. My question is now this: Should I start cutting on the left or right in the vertical picture. I think that the answer is the left side but am confused about the vent on the other side of the wall. Would there be any reason that I would have two wet walls?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Are you sure the other line is just a vent? Is there something above it draining into it?

Before you start cutting stuff you might want to rent a video camera snake through the lines to give you a heads up on what's going where.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #8

Pretty sure it connects with the other vent overhead and then heads to the roof.

A video camera is a great idea.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeetteerr View Post
So I put this project off as long as possible. Its finally time to begin.

I have tried looking for a knockout but haven;t found one. I assume I will have to start cutting concrete. My question is now this: Should I start cutting on the left or right in the vertical picture. I think that the answer is the left side but am confused about the vent on the other side of the wall. Would there be any reason that I would have two wet walls?

Thanks,

Peter
If the previous owner wanted the tub to drain to the left then a vent stack would be as shown- assuming that pipe is for a tub/shower.
Save the camera expense, remove the clean out plugs and go upstairs and run all your faucets and see what drains in the pipes- if any.
mae-ling (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

The idea of the camera was to possible find out whether the existing lines there are already in place for the tub, before cutting it open. Renting the jackhammer and pouring patches may well be cheaper, and might be necessary anyway.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Why not try old old school and see if you can find the void with your ears? Ping on the concrete with a hammer and listen for a tone change in different spots. Costs nothing but time and you might get lucky.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.
Rewards Points: 75

That's what i was thinking,measure from center of 3"coming thru the slab over 15"make a mark, from that mark to the cement wall may get you close to center then like Evstarr says use your hammer i would start knocking 15 to 18" off cement wall and 30" from plumbing wall if its a shower but after looking closer http://www.brandsconstruction.com/Im...floor-plan.JPG between the sink and tub min of 30" a basic tub is now this is roughly 60x 30 60x32

wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote