Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #1

Share |

help with major plumbing work in barn

So, some of you may recall the barn studio thread from a long time ago. I'll be getting back to work on it shortly, and am mtrying to figure out the bathroom.

Bathroom is totally framed, ready for plumbing and electrical.

THe property's septic tank is about 10' away from the house, between house and barn, and about 40' from the barn.

THe original plan was to stick a composting toilet in there for convenience, but it would be more expensive than a regular toilet. The rub is, how to connect to the existing septic tank, and pump the waste slightly uphill to it?

I believe the tank is spec'd for another bathroom, which would only be very part time use.

In the spring, should I excavate a trench to the tank, at which point I woulud "simply" connect a drain line into the top of it from the barn?

Or, what can you guys tell me about new tanks in general? Is there a smaller unit I can get for JUSt the barn, one that's maybe pumped out monthly or something?

Or, can I dig a dang whole in the ground and pump into it? (Hehe, half joking with that one.)

Thanks.

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

help with major plumbing work in barn

At least in my area (CT) you cannot tie two buildings to any septic system. And any new system must be specified by an engineer. So you might want to check with the local building/health departments first.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote