Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #1

Share |

Help with Leaking Shower Tub Drain Pipe!

All

Attached is the latest fun fun fun home repair project. Needless to say the pipe is shot and I need to replace it. The space is tight, and I'm sure some of you with years of experience worked in worse, but I plan on opening up the space a bit with a recip saw to get some clearance.

The trap doesn't leak but all the couplings look shot. My question is I'm thinking about using ABS -- is that permissible/acceptable? Should i just stick to PVC? Also to confirm, the size of the pipe is 3inches? It looks I need to pickup one of those ridgid pipe cutters that work in tight spaces or is there another recommendation? Any other tips to a fellow ambitious DIY'er would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

hboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Get rid off all of that galvanized pipe sooner than later. Replace it all with DWV PVC up to the 4 inch cast Iron main soil stack. The vents can stay, but get rid of all galvanized steel drain pipes.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #3

Better you then me Looks pretty tight
Do you have access to the stack? You should remove as much as you can- the galv. is shot. Replace with ABS or PVC- whichever is used in your area
Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #4

Thanks! Anyway you can eyeball the size of the pipe? Plan to hit plumbing supply first thing in the morning. noob question -- how do you connect new ABS/PVC to the cast iron stack ? Also, what's the best practice on joining pieces of pipe using couplings (e.g every 16 inches needs a coupling?) or just try and use one long piece that's pitched correctly ?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Leave about a 4 inch galvinized stub out from CI stack. Cut with RA Grinder with metal cut blade, clean out remaining stub. Attach to DWV PVC with rubber fernco coupling 1.5 to 1.5 inch it looks like. Measure. If 2 inch go 2 inch. No couplings if possible, they are only for connecting pipe. Use glued trap with bottom cleanout plug, not slip nuts. Dry fit and mark all pipe. Use primer and flowgard gold glue. When you glue, glue spicket end, then bell. Fully engage and turn 1/4 turn to clear any bubbles in glue. Hold in, pipe will try to back out from heat.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #6

I'd use a sawsall not a grinder. Way to may sparks when using a grinder.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your reply. The below is the finished product. Turns out the rotted galvanized pipe was 1.5 and the CI was 2" The connection coming from the tub was 1 1/4, which is why i used the bushing shown in the pic. For good measure I changed the fernco rubber coupling connecting the CI to CI. Thoughts ?

Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Bill Kearney

My only question is about the surrounding wood. Looks like someone did a number on it. Hope it doesn't hold anything up.... Trades are notorious for butchering structure when it's 'in their way'. And never go back and correct the serious problems their hack job did to the structure.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #9

He sure did. I was onsite and primed, cut and setup the pvc work too. We plan on getting some new 2x4 or 2x6 and bracing the existing structure. Everything above is solid right now.