Help With Leak From Faucet! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with leak from faucet!

I have this faucet at home and this is where the water flows from:

My problem is that there is rusty water leaking out from here:
The water that actually comes out of the faucet is perfect.
Any help you guys could give me is appreciated.
Thanks,

Mike

Advertisement

z06mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Rusty water indicates there is steel in the faucet, a sign of a CHEAP faucet. The leak problem can probably be fixed by replacing a washer or o-ring under the nut where the hand comes out. Shut off water first.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #3

I had this faucet before I put the one above. I have this same one in another bathroom and do not have this problem.

I tried to replace the gasket in this one and it didn't work. After that didn't work, I bought a BRAND NEW faucet, the one in my post above. I continue to have the problem, and only in one bathroom. The other faucet works perfect. Any other thoughts as to what could be causing the problem???
Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

Let's see IF I understand this problem correctly. You replaced the faucet in one bath because it had some rusty looking water coming from it? The faucet you replaced it with has the same problem? No other faucet in the house has the rusty water problem? Now IF I have this scenario set correctly, I have another question: When the first rusty water faucet was installed, was there any other plumbing work done, particularly under the vanity or home? It's sounding to me as if someone did some plumbing work and installed a black iron piece of piping in your system. This will cause rust within this one piece of piping and will show up particularly if you have a small leak. OR-you may notice a small amount of rusty water when you first turn the faucet on. Try this: find the stop (cut-off) valves for the problem faucet. Shut one stop valve off, no matter which one. See if the rusty water problem stops. IF is does, this is the offending line. IF not, try the other. IF neither side stops the rusty water problem then it may be in the faucet unit itself. Think back about any plumbing work first. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #5

Yes it is only in one of my bathrooms. No other plumbing work was done after the fact. If you notice the pictures above, you will see that where the water actually flows out of, I have no problem. The very small leak is coming from the handle. The water coming out of the faucet is clear and no rust at all.

If it is the faucet itself, that would be strange because it is a totally new faucet. ???
Old 12-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

Mike, that was just a theory I was going on with the info I had. Now, you state that the only rusty water you have is at the point where the water control valve handle is. The water coming from the actual faucet for "point-of-use" is clear, or is it IF you turn the water of very slowly? Try that. Now, if the only rusty water you have is from the control handle base, I'm sorry--I'll have to go along with the fact there must be some metal part(s) in there which will rust and cause this. Me, personally, I would shut the water off and take the faucet apart piece-by-piece to see what I could find. But, that's me. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #7

Yeah that is the only place I continue to have the leak from. I'm not at home right now so I am not able to try anything at the moment. It is leaking right now, a drop at a time. It sounds reasonable that it has to be something inside the faucet, but 2 different ones?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement