Help: Kitchen Sink Drain Is Clogged With Grease - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help: Kitchen sink drain is clogged with grease

Need some feedback. I believe that our kitchen sink ( double sink ) is clogged with grease and pretty much a solid clog because water is coming out both drains. Note: All my other drains are working fine, showers, bathrooms etc...just the kitchen sink is being a pain. This is what I already did along with a buddy of mine who has some plumbing know how.

1st attempt: When I discovered that the water was not draining, we tried to plunge by scooping most of the water out and then covering up the one drain to get a nice vacuum and then plunging the other drain. Didn't work

2nd Attempt: I took the PVC pipes off underneath the drain, removed the excess water. Inspected the pipes and no visible clogs or debris except a thin film of black goo ( I assume grease ) on the sides of the pipes.

3rd Attempt: With the pipes removed, I took my snake/auger and inserted down the pipe sticking out the back of the wall. I was able to get the snake down I think about 20-25 feet or so, pulled it back up put the pipes back on and..didn't work

4th Attempt: I tried boiling hot water and baking soda..let it sit for a bit..didn't work

5th Attempt: Bought a pint Floweasy ( sulfuric acid with buffers ). I took the PVC pipes off to where the trap is, the remaining pipe I twisted up so it would act like a funnel and poured the stuff slowly into the pipe so it would work its way down the pipes. Boy, this was kinda weird..first time messing with this stuff. Had the gloves on and was careful. Had a little spillage when the acid reacted with the water, I was able to get about 3/4 of the bottle ( 24 ounzes or so in there ) let it sit for 15 min as recommended by the manufacturer. I then ran some cold water and water started coming out both drains again within 10 seconds of fillling the pipes underneath??? So I stopped the water.

I am hoping that the Floweasy will eventually work it's way thru. It's been about 45 mintes now and I still see some water on both drains just like before :-( I really don't like the idea of having this Floweasy still in the pipes...I was hoping it would work in 15 minutes and l could flush it all out with cold water like recommended..now it is in the pipes sitting there.

What else is there to so short of calling a plumber...should I call a plumber now or can I wait a day or two???

Advertisement

cips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Do you have a cleanout in the basement that you can access? If so, remove the cap and try snaking it from there.

Advertisement

Green Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Be very caqreful with that caustic cleanout stuff. It can blind and burn you.
I would use non-caustic enzyme-based drain cleaner like DrainCare. Just follow the directions on the jug.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER

Rewards Points: 75
Exclamation

YES IT IS WAY PAST TIME TO CALL A PLUMBER !

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE PLEASE TELL HIM ABOUT THE ACID "BEFORE" HE RUN'S HIS SNAKE INTO THE DRAIN,

IF YOU WANT WATCH WHAT AND HOW HE DO'ES WORK THEN YOU CAN DECIDE
NEXT TIME IF YOU WANT TO DO THE DRAIN OR JUST SKIP THE HARD PART
AND JUST WANT TO CALL A PROFESSIONAL TO BEGIN WITH

QUESTION FOR ALL D.I.Y. PEOPLE THAT WANT TO TRY CHEMICAL CLEANERS ? ?

WHAT PART OF HIGH SCHOOL PHYSICS TEACH'S YOU THAT ANY KIND OF DRAIN CHEMICAL IS GOING TO "SOAK" THOUGH 20 OR SO FEET OF STANDING WATER ? ?
AS IS BETWEEN WHERE YOUR KITCHEN DRAIN IS AND TO THE CLOSEST TOILET MAIN DRAIN WHERE THE LINE TIE'S INTO ? ? ?
MACPLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MACPLUMB For This Useful Post:
gmaint (03-17-2014)
Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Hey gang...Just an update.

I called a local plumber and after I told him what I already did, he actually recommended I call Roto-Rooter: Drain Service. He was quite honest and mentioned that he felt the Roto-Rooter guys would do a better job in the drain department, plus he said he would feel bad if he charged me and did not get the job done right..he was being selective...but he was honest.

I called Roto, they came out to my house within an hour and brought in the heavy artillery ( machine auger ) and he went to work. He was here for over an hour plugging away..he went all the way..about 60 feet trying to get this drain working...it finally gave way and my drain is working perfectly.

Thumbs up to guy from Roto-Rooter, he was nice and thorough and professional. I cost $150 for the service and I get a 1 month warantty on the servie if is clogs again within a month.

glad it is fixed. He also said, don't use that caustic acid stuff, more hassle than good.

That is all..this thread is closed. Thanks for the feedback fellas
cips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by cips View Post
Thumbs up to guy from Roto-Rooter, he was nice and thorough and professional. I cost $150 for the service and I get a 1 month warantty on the servie if is clogs again within a month.
What? The Roto-Rooter guy forgot to tell you your main sewer line was broken or collapsed and you needed to have your whole yard dug up for >$10,000? There is a first time for everything. Only $150? You got a good deal from an honest technician. I am really happy this worked out for you.

Advertisement

SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote