Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #1

Share |

help installing toilet please

Hi:

The old toilet in the main floor bathroom was leaking and not working properly for quite a while now. It wouldn't flush properly and a variety of other problems. I bit the bullet and bought a new toilet only to find that the toilet flange is 11 1/4" from the wall. The new toilet requires the flange to be 12" from the wall. After measuring the old toilet, I found that it too needs a 12" rough-in. The flange can't be moved without removing a joist. Any suggestions as to how I might jury rig a toilet install of the new toilet until the bathroom renovation takes place next year?

Thanks for the help.

Allthunbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #2

Bring it back and get a 10" rough in toilet.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...h%20rough%20in

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Did you actually try installing the toilet? I have never seen a 12" rough toilet that would not work with 11.25"

Try a dry fit without the wax ring or the tank installed. Then set the tank in place and see if it clears the wall.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Did you actually try installing the toilet? I have never seen a 12" rough toilet that would not work with 11.25"

Try a dry fit without the wax ring or the tank installed. Then set the tank in place and see if it clears the wall.
Thanks RJNiles,

I've shoe-horned it in thanks to an extra layer of wax ring. The toilet was one of the one-piece jobs with the buttons on top. Even connecting the water supply was a major pain in the butt. I've already decided that I'm going to rebuild the bathroom and relocate the toilet.

The next problem is how to take a chunk out of the joist to be able to clear the soil elbow around the joist. I'm lucky, I have a supporting wall just below the location (I hope). Suggestions on how to rough this in when I get to it?

Thanks too, JoeCaption, we almost did that. Hopefully, this solution will work properly for the short term. Long term will be to rebuild the bathroom in a year or so.
Allthunbs is offline   Reply With Quote