DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help with ID'ing bathtub sound...

7K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  redline 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Hope someone can help me. I just bought my first home and it is a brand new townhome. So far everything is fine but recently I've begin to hear a metal poping noise when I get into the bathtub (standing for showers) or if sit on the edge of the bathtub. This noise only happens when I'm standing or sitting at the drain end. I also notice or feel the bathtub has a tiny bit of "flex" by the drian in the bathtub while the other end feels solid.

I hope I have discribed my bathtub tub noise well enough for someone to provide some insite before I call the builders.

Just a note that my second bathroom's bathtub does not have this problem

Thanks for the help.

#7 ·
Is there an access panel for the plumbing near the tub drain?
Did you have this townhouse built or did you buy it from another individual?
Unfortunately there is no access panel. What did you have in mind?

This townhouse was build brand new and I am the first owner. I'm also planning to talk to the another homeowners in this phase to see if they are experiencing the same thing but right now since it is cold out no one is outside unless shovelling the snow.

#8 ·
Being brand new, any problems for the first year should be covered by a warranty. The tub may not be thick enough steel to keep from flexing. This is why mortar beds are installed under acrylic tubs. The noise may be the drain piping moving when the tub flexes. This will eventually break the piping or slip joints which will cause leaking. Access panels are usually installed during construction so repairs can be made later without cutting out the wall. It is possible that you could be responsible for damages to any other units (if there are any below you) due to leaks. Check with the builder about warranties.

#9 ·
Thank for the info. Although there is no visible access it seems that the tub plumbing is facing the hallway wall so I will make a good guess that if work was to be done cutting a hole in the wall is what's needed and then just patch up the wall.

With the info I have recieved I can now talk to the home builders and talk to them sounding like I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks

#10 ·
I forgot to ask but if repairs are to be done by the home builder and lets say it is the mortar bed was not sufficient what are some of the ways they would fix the problem, would they have to take the tub out and redone the bedding or would they just shim the tub (not sure if this proper fix up)?

I remember an old episode of Mike Holmes from Homles on Homes fixing a bathtub problem and when he took the tub out there looked to be a block of styrofoam under the tub... is that a mortar bed?

Thanks again.

#11 · (Edited)
... what are some of the ways they would fix the problem, would they have to take the tub out and redone the bedding or would they just shim the tub (not sure if this proper fix up)?

If they are able to gain access to the lower portion of the tub area then the tub can stay in. What are at both ends of the tub? (walls, vanity, closet...)
What is behind the back wall of the tub? (another room, a closet...)
Is this tub on the first floor?
If it is on the first floor then is there a basement?
If there is a basement then can you see the drain line coming from the tub if you are in the basement?
If this is on the second floor then is the ceiling below it a drop ceiling?

I remember an old episode of Mike Holmes from Homles on Homes fixing a bathtub problem and when he took the tub out there looked to be a block of styrofoam under the tub... is that a mortar bed?

Thanks again.
A mortar bed is mortar (used for laying bricks) that is put down before the tub is put into place that supports the lower portion of the tub. The mortar bed is slightly taller then the distance between the bottom of the tub and the floor. Once the tub is laid into place, the excess mortar flows to the sides and it is allowed to dry. Usually, the tub is filled half-way with water to set it into the mortar. It conforms to the bottom of the tub and the floor to strength the tub. Without a mortar bed or other support method the tub will flex with the weight of a person or when the tub is filled with water.

Can you post a photo?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.