Help, I Just Opened A Can Of Worms Here! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help, i just opened a can of worms here!

so i've gotten myself into a bit of a jam here...

my house is very small, and has very basic plumbing. 2 sinks, bathtub, and a toilet. basement is unfinished, so there is easy access to everything.

the problem: when i flush the toilet, i hear a loud gurgling sound in the bathroom sink, bathtub, as well as the kitchen sink. from everything i read, it sounded like either a venting issue, or a partial blockage in the main sewage line.

today i went on the roof to inspect the vent, the vent is about 3" in diameter, and looked clear. so i went to home depot to rent a manual snake.

i was able to get the snake out the main line aprox 30 feet, couldn't get any further then that, but i think that it probably does a 90 degree turn.

after that, went inside, flushed the toilet, gurgling stopped, all the drains worked just fine..

since i had the snake here i decided i might as well snake the vent just incase there was something blocking it that i couldn't see. didn't seem to find anything when i did that..

NOW, when i come inside and flush the toilet, i get a partial flush!

would a broken seal cause this? when i snaked the drain i had to unhook the toilet drain in the basement as the cleanout wasn't large enough to fit the snake down.. i'm pretty sure i've damaged the seal for the toilet because i was moving the drain for the toilet around a little bit in order to get the snake in there.. there is some water dripping from the flange area now, but i think it should still give me a full flush even with a broken wax seal

any thoughts???

Advertisement

chadtatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

There may have been a blockage somewhere in the toilet or drain pipe or vent that got dislodged by your snake and then got hung up somewhere else.

You will need to replace the wax seal under the toilet as a separate project, to stop the leaking around the flange underneath. The broken seal does not cause a partial flush but a partial flush means water will persist in the vicinity of the flange longer and more leakage will take place.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-16-2009 at 10:11 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #3

you're right about the blockage, there's something in the main pipe from where the toilet goes into the main drain in the basement at the 90 degree bend... can't get the snake through it, can't flush it out with water from a hose, can't get anything past that point..

the shower and kitchen sink drain fine though, as they connect to the main pipe further down the line, bypassing the clog.

i think what's clogged it is the rust scale from the vent... not sure what i can do about that, i'm worried a plumber might have to cut out that section of cast-iron pipe, and replace it... sounds expensive
Old 02-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #4

Rust scale from the vent isn't going to clog a pipe. You have a clog down the line. I don't know what kind of snake you rented. If it won't get past a turn, then maybe the snake you rented is too small. Some people rent snakes that are designed for 2 inch lines, and not for three to four inch lines. Is there any way you could post a picture of the snake you rented? If you got it on the roof, it cannot be a very big machine.
Plumber44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #5

the snake is about 3/4's inch wide, with a sprial/spring like tip that about 1.5" wide.

think it's time to call in the pro's for this one.. we've worked at it all day long to try and get around that 90 and can't, so there's something there blocking the path.. i just hope the plumber doesn't have to cut out that cast-iron pipe to clear the block..
Old 02-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #6

He shouldn't have to cut into the cast iron. It's probably best to call in a professional at this point
Plumber44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #7

ya i agree.. if i try to snake it anymore i'm going to have to call a plumber, and someone to repair the hole that's going to get kicked in my wall!!! lol

Advertisement