DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help! hot water won't stop running despite faucet changes.

10K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  redline 
#1 ·
Hello all,

My basement bathroom sink was dripping hot water from an old faucet. I replaced the faucet. Now it is running out! Put a different faucet on, as I couldn't find a replacement stem for the first one. Still running out. There is no shut off valve on the hot, only on the cold. The water pipes going to the faucets are not the flexible tubing, but copper, with the nut that screws onto the faucet hot and cold threads.

I can't see how this would be anything but a faucet problem, but what?? I've put in many faucets, never a problem.

Also, the hot water leaks from the laundry hookup pipes maybe 8 feet away. I thought it was the same thing, need to replace packing or something. But could it be related?

My water has been turned off for almost 24 hours (I turn it on now and again, briefly, but the water just pours down the drain) and I am North Dakota, it's below freezing and I need to get this fixed!

Please, anybody, what is going on? I'm completely at my wits end.

#2 ·
The water is running out of the spout on the new facuet on the hot side even when its turned off? That could only mean a defective new faucet assuming is in there correct...

Since you have copper you could add a compression turn off valve just to be able to shut it off for repairs.

Is the laundry hook up leaking from the faucet as well?

#3 ·
Sammy,

Thanks. I just got up from redoing it for the 6th time today. I should have known that despite working on this since yesterday afternoon, all I needed to do was post and I would find a resolution.

The springs-that came with BOTH of the faucets-were too short, and the washers too thin. I replaced them both from stuff I had laying around and it's good as new. unbelievable.

I'm going to just cut the copper to the bottom half of the laundry pipes and install a new faucet assembly. This house was put together very haphazardly. However, after I clean up this huge mess, I'm done plumbing for the day! Ugh.

Thanks for your quick reply, I really appreciate it, I was starting to lose my mind on that one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.