HELP...Holes Drilled In 2 X 4 LBW - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HELP...Holes drilled in 2 x 4 LBW

Hi all,

I'm installing a 1 1/2" vent line for a shower. I need to run this line up from the basement floor into a 2x4 stud wall; then across through 2 parallel LOAD BEARING WALL studs to the main stack. I need to know if I can drill a 2" hole through both of those studs. The run is a about 3 feet across.

I know the code states up to 40% of the depth of the stud for 2 x 4 LOAD bearing walls. Which works out to 1 7/16" hole only. Any help would really be appreciated..

thank you.

Advertisement

acfrqflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 668

HELP...Holes drilled in 2 x 4 LBW

The diameter of drilled holes in studs should not exceed 40 percent of the stud depth, and the minimum edge distance to the boundary of the hole shall not be less than 5/8-inch. When studs are doubled, drilled holes should not exceed 60 percent of the stud depth. Holes of maximum diameter should not occur in more than two consecutive studs. Adjacent holes, or holes and notches should not occur in the same cross section. As an example, a 2x4 can have a maximum hole of 1 3/8-inch or 2 inches if studs are doubled.

Info obtained from here:
http://www.toolbase.org/toolbasereso...1&CategoryID=7

HRG

Advertisement

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote