Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help finding a pump

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not but I'm looking to build a custom drink dispenser for mixing alcoholic drinks. I'm curious about what kind of electric pumps will handle the job. I'm looking to have about 16 different drinks. I'm concerned a regular water pump will break down due to the sugars from the drinks running through it. Are there any relatively inexpensive pumps that can handle alcohol and soda / juice running through them? I would need to purchase 16 individual pumps which is the reason why I cannot afford $200 / pump. I don't need a high output pump, the lower the amperage and less flow the better. Somewhere around 1GPM would do fine. Thanks!

aberrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Help finding a pump

I would think that it would be better to convey these premixed drinks pneumatically, with either air or CO2 rather than pumping, that way you would only need a small compressor, a manifold and regulator.

You would also need some kind of flushing system I would think.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #3

Help finding a pump

I was thinking the same thing however I'd like to connect all the pumps to a relay controller board I'm going to program the board with software to control which pumps are turned on when and for how long. The drinks wont be premixed some will contain alcohol and others will contain juice / soda and depending on what kind of drink a person wants it will pump say 1part gin 3 parts orange soda. Do they have pneumatic pumps that can interface with a relay controller?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Help finding a pump

I agree with the pneumatic idea. This unit sounds like it is being designed for a public bar. If this is the case, you would need to have it cleaned by a licensed technician on a regular basis, same as beer taps.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Experienced

Help finding a pump

The relay board could fire signals to low voltage solenoid valves connected to a manifold. Sounds like a good application for a hybrid pigging system.
aberrant (01-05-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #6

Help finding a pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
The relay board could fire signals to low voltage solenoid valves connected to a manifold. Sounds like a good application for a hybrid pigging system.
Yup, that's a great idea. It will really help me save space too and then I can use just one pump to power the whole system. What manifold material would be best for transporting alcohol and sugary liquids? Can you suggest some good sites for purchasing manifolds? Thanks for the help
Old 01-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Experienced

Help finding a pump

Manifold material would have to be of food grade and could be plastic, such as approved for beverage delivery systems, or Stainless Steel.

My thoughts on that are, the manifold suggestion was for the delivery of the charge pressure to individual delivery lines.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #8

Help finding a pump

I was thinking something like in this picture. Have one pump powering the manifold and use solenoids on each drink line to control the flow. Then I could just use one line to output the drink mixture. It could allow for the mixing to take place during the route from the liquid to the faucet. Then I could connect a solenoid to a water source and flush the manifold / pump after each drink is poured so traces of drinks are not left in the lines.

Or what about the possibility of using gravity to push liquid out instead of a pump?
Attached Thumbnails
Help finding a pump-drink_system.jpg  

Last edited by aberrant; 01-05-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Help finding a pump

just looking at the pic, do you really want all your drinks running thru one hose to the dispenser? How would that gin and tonic taste after pouring a rum and coke? Why not get one of these and press 2 buttons at once? http://compare.ebay.com/like/3802000...=263602_309572
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #10

Help finding a pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
just looking at the pic, do you really want all your drinks running thru one hose to the dispenser? How would that gin and tonic taste after pouring a rum and coke?
I'm considering a flushing system where say one user wants a gin and tonic, if the next user wants something other than that same combination, the system will flush itself with water first. I'll just hook water up to the back most solenoid on the manifold and it will flush the whole system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
Why not get one of these and press 2 buttons at once? http://compare.ebay.com/like/3802000...=263602_309572
1. You're limited to a smaller number of drinks.
2. Because I like the idea of an automated interface where the user can select the drink they want or choose a custom mix.
3. Because the system will regulate exact amounts of how much drink is being poured, thus it will keep costs down and allow for much more control.