HELP Extend Gas Line - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

HELP Extend Gas Line

I have a double car "jack and jill style" garage and the two stalls are sectioned off with a wall. One of the stalls has a gas line coming in from the ground and I want to tap into the line and extend it to the the other garage stall to allow for the use of a gas dryer, BUT I need some help and info and the best/legit way to do this.

First, what type of pipe should I use to extend the line since it will be exposed in the garage on the ceiling and wall. Black iron, galvanized, etc?

What would be the best way to secure the pipe to the ceiling and wall?

Any other incite, recommendations and info would be great! THANK YOU!

Here are photos of the stall with the gas line and how I was thinking of extending it:

Here is where it will be coming out the other side and running along the wall:

Advertisement

mxingislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

HELP Extend Gas Line

the pro you end up calling will have all the answers for you

Advertisement

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #3

HELP Extend Gas Line

I'm trying to avoid calling a pro because I got a price quote from a local plumber of $600 to do this...YIKES!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

HELP Extend Gas Line

mxingislife, It seems like questions like this generate alot of insults and condescending remarks from old plumbers, but very little instruction. Your questions indicate that you have very little knowledge about running gas pipe. I do not feel comfortable trying to explain how to cut, ream, thread, and properly hang and assemble gas piping on the computer. This might sound extreme, but one little undetected leak could kill everyone in the house or at least blow it up. That is all I have to say about that.

Now does anyone know that website that shows me how to perform my own vasectomy???
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
Licensed Master Plumber

HELP Extend Gas Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by broox View Post
mxingislife, It seems like questions like this generate alot of insults and condescending remarks from old plumbers, but very little instruction.
Quote:
Your questions indicate that you have very little knowledge about running gas pipe. I do not feel comfortable trying to explain how to cut, ream, thread, and properly hang and assemble gas piping on the computer. This might sound extreme, but one little undetected leak could kill everyone in the house or at least blow it up. That is all I have to say about that.

Now does anyone know that website that shows me how to perform my own vasectomy???

So explain how your " helpful advice" was anymore helpful than actual licensed professionals telling him the same thing?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #6

HELP Extend Gas Line

insults and condescending remarks
Old 12-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 42

HELP Extend Gas Line

600 seems like a high estimate. Is there any help available from your gas provider. I have had new copper line installed for propane and as I remember it was under 200 from the contractor that my gas provider sent.

My father and I extented natural gas piping for a gas dryer years ago and he mixed up a batch of soapy water to test the joints for leaks but that is now known to be a less-than-safe alternative to a proper pressure test by a pro.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Licensed Master Plumber

HELP Extend Gas Line

Quote:
insults and condescending remarks
What insults and condescending remarks? I don't see anything of the sort in this thread.

let's re-visit this whole gas issue. Gas is dangerous. Gas explosions and fires kill people. NOBOBY that is not licensed, certified or both should be touching anything having to do with gas appliances and piping other than shutting the gas off if there's a problem. ANYBODY, licensed or otherwise, offering advice to homeowners concerning the repair, alteration, or servicing of gas appliances or gas piping is doing a GRAVE injustice to the OP. If you think some of us are rude or condescending than I suggest that you read the posts more carefully. EVERY time that the thread has degenerated into such posts, it has been because the OP or some other unwise member has decided to ignore the advice FIRST given and that is to call a licensed professional. You want to help folks out with minor plumbing problems that do not possess the potential for doing harm to life and limb or property than go ahead, have a ball, but giving advice on something as dangerous as gas is in my opinion irresponsible at best and tragic at worse.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #9

HELP Extend Gas Line

NH- I think you confuse the word "than" with the word "then"
Old 12-17-2010, 01:19 AM   #10

HELP Extend Gas Line

broox, I understand what you mean. I do have some knowledge of gas lines and I do know that it is not anything to mess around with. I don't need anyone to explain to me how to cut, ream and thread pipe. I was more looking for answers/ideas of ways to help with a nice clean install or just a little advice. I have a friend who works for a local plumbing/mechanical shop and he installs, moves and works with gas lines everyday and he will be helping with this job. I was just looking to get other peoples input on the topic. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #11

HELP Extend Gas Line

Great! You should be fine. My suggestions: 1 put a valve in the line where you start. 2 run as big a line as you the one you tie into. 3 When I ran my gas line in my basement, Wherever I needed a coupling I used a tee with a nipple and cap, so in the future I had places to tie into. 4 I used "split ring hangers" to hang the gas pipe in my basement. There are cheaper ways to hang it, but they look good and are sturdy. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,046

HELP Extend Gas Line

I understand your post and what you want to do, you might be better off just using your own common sense and work with your buddy who knows gas work.
I find people trying to get answers on DIY regarding "GAS " work get nothing but frustration at the answers they get.
Even though they get advise on heaters that blow up,air conditioners that blowup, and electrical items that cause fires and electrocute people, and plumbing that emits gas fumes and unsanitary conditions and many other conditions that can cause death and destruction. People have to DIY follow safety rules, get permits, inspections and follow all codes regardless of the information received. That is a given.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COLDIRON For This Useful Post:
Larryh86GT (03-13-2013)
Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 258

HELP Extend Gas Line

Was $600 your lowest quote or only quote?What kind of price might you get from a plumber at your buddy's work place?
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

HELP Extend Gas Line

personally, 600 doesn't sound all that bad. 100-150 in materials, permit, inspection, 2-3 hours for install. it's not like its just 10 feet of pipe the guy would have to put in. if you're not sure if its a good price, get a few more estimates. is your friend going to pull the proper permit? if he does this for a living, all i'd think he would need is a parts list.
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #15

HELP Extend Gas Line

Is this gas line in service? It kind of looks like it's going to a boiler in the picture?

If it is, I'd suggest you take the time to calculate the pipes capacity and make sure that the incoming lead can handle the additional draw.
For example -
Say that line is about 25' of 3/4" the capacity is about 130 CFH or 130,000btu/h.
Your boiler may require upwards of 120,000 btu/hr.
Your washing machine may be 22,000 btu/hr totaling around 140,000 btu/h.

Here's a good calculator that may help - http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/na...or-d_1042.html

The data plates on the appliances will specify a BTU rating.

Other than that, it's really not to hard to splice in a tee and a shutoff valve & run the lines over.

As far as leak checking and pressure testing, I'd recommend at very least, building a home-made manometer. Here is a simple how-to. I would size it up to accomodate 14" on each side, so probably about a 30" board.

Here is a guide on how to leak test your line - guide
*1 inch water column = 2.491 mbar @ 39.2'F

You can go one step further and pressure check with the appliance running. You'd need an in-line tee (temporarily) installed at the dryer. Should probably maintain a minimum 7" w.c. (read 7" up on one side, 7" down on the other).

Of course, this goes along with the disclaimer that you should always have a licensed plumber, inspections, permits... for gas work....

Let me know if any of this is unclear.

Advertisement

Nick DIY is offline   Reply With Quote