Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Help with draining and venting requirements

We're working on designing our rough plumbing for our house (no experience in this). We'll be installing ourselves (have experience in this). No inspections are required for our project in our rural area, so no one is coming to look a it.
But the minimum code for the state is UPC, and we'd like to do it at least to not violate UPC. We want to do it right so that we don't have problems with slow drains, gases, siphoning, etc. etc.
We're trying to figure out how to do the venting and draining of fixtures, and we'd like some help.

This picture shows what we have in mind for one bathroom setup, but we're not sure if:
1. Does the toilet need a vent? Would diagram B work for the toilet? If not, how can we add one?
2. Does the tub need a vent? If yes, how can we add one?
3. Depending on where the joists end up, that vent for the shower might end up like in diagram B. Will that work?
4. Any cleanouts required? We've put one in, but we're not sure it that is needed or not.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with draining and venting requirements-ma-ba-plumbing-layout.jpg  

Last edited by Boontucky; 11-20-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Boontucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

best get a book plumbing for dummies so you have a starting point. trying to do at least close to code means you want to do a poor job at best. I hope you really want to do a good job. Code is the bare minimum quality. If the toilet is within a few feet of the main stack you can wet vent this, but not the best way to do it. Many local codes will not allow wet vents. All other fixtures need to be vented. but there are many details on the pitch, location heights and on and on. Best to study more and ask more specific questions after you get a closer idea what is to be done.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Bob. Yes, we want to do a good job. My point about doing it so that we don't violate UPC, is if for some reason in the future something goes wrong, it's not because we violated the code.

I think details like pipe size, pitch and location heights we can figure out. We've gotten tons of books out of the library, and they are all great on how to do plumbing, but they all have only one or two pages on venting, and the vent locations is what we don't know for sure how to figure out.
We've got pipe sizes based on fixture DFU's from the UPC tables and other details figured out. It'd the laying out of the plumbing that's giving us trouble.

We feel that once we get a handle on venting design, we can hopefully figure out the rest. If not, I'll be back asking more questions. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #4

Question

Here's an updated version of the drawing. My numbers are from UPC 2006, I think.
I honestly don't know if I've done this is right, so I'd like some help with figuring out if my design will work, if the venting and pipe size are right, and if I have the right fittings for the job.
Also, where are cleanouts required in this configuration?

Thank you.

Edit: I can't get the manage button attachment to work. So here's a link to the picture.
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/a...inglayout3.jpg

Last edited by Boontucky; 11-25-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

for the most part use 2" for the vent lines. Cleanouts are required whenever you change direction. With the exception of using 22 1/2 or 45 bends.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
for the most part use 2" for the vent lines. Cleanouts are required whenever you change direction. With the exception of using 22 1/2 or 45 bends.
If you follow the link, you'll see all of my vents are 2" pipe.
Where exactly do the cleanouts go when you change direction?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boontucky View Post
If you follow the link, you'll see all of my vents are 2" pipe.
Where exactly do the cleanouts go when you change direction?
Cleanouts are on horizontal runs. Put them where you change from vertical to horizontal and use a Wye.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #8

I do plumbing on the side for myself, family and friends. I always look to expand my knowledge base on any project I undertake and plumbing is no
different. Your approach seems good and let me steer you to an excellent book on the subject. It's well written and easy to understand and I've used it's contents many times with good results. Here >> http://www.amazon.com/Plumbing-House.../dp/1561583332

Good luck with your project.

LeakyMike is offline   Reply With Quote