Help: Distance From Upstairs Toilet Vent Stack To A New Downstairs 1/2 Bath - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Mistakes make knowledge

Rewards Points: 10

help: distance from upstairs toilet vent stack to a new downstairs 1/2 bath

hello
I am writing this for information on wether or not I can just tie a 3 or 4 inch pvc pipe into my original stack from a new 1/2 bath I would like to put downstairs. The new bathroom woulc be about 20 feet away from the main vent stack and I do not want to try to run an aditional stack for this half bath. Can I tie this new toilet into my main drain, this drain comes from the bathroom upstairs where it is vented out the roof. thanks for any help .. i have attached a drawing of what i'm looking at ...
Attached Files
File Type: doc Doc1.doc (29.0 KB, 185 views)

Advertisement

Heikks2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heikks2002 View Post
hello
I am writing this for information on wether or not I can just tie a 3 or 4 inch pvc pipe into my original stack from a new 1/2 bath I would like to put downstairs. The new bathroom woulc be about 20 feet away from the main vent stack and I do not want to try to run an aditional stack for this half bath. Can I tie this new toilet into my main drain, this drain comes from the bathroom upstairs where it is vented out the roof. thanks for any help .. i have attached a drawing of what i'm looking at ...
Not sure what the code is in Michigan, but here in MA you could certainly tie your new waste pipe from the half bath into the waste stack that serves the upstairs bath, BUT you'd also have to run a new vent for the half bath. The new vent doesn't have to go through the roof independently (although it could if that's easier to do), but you could tie it into an existing vent a minimum of six inches above the flood-level rim of the tallest fixture on the floor above (e.g. - if the highest "flood-level rim" is a the rim of a sink basin that's 36" tall, you can tie the new vent into the existing vent at 42").

AAV's (Air Admittance Valves - aka: mechanical vents) are prohibited in MA except in extreme circumstances, but maybe they're allowed there? You'd have to check with your local code enforcement official(s).

Advertisement

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,212

Of course you can do it, but the specifics of what you have to do depend on the applicable code. The Uniform Plumbing Code and the International Residential Code handle venting very differently. You need to talk to your local inspector.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Mistakes make knowledge

Rewards Points: 10

thank you for your help, very appreciative. It def gives me a road to go down and figure this all out. again thanks
Heikks2002 is offline   Reply With Quote