Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2010, 03:40 AM   #1

Share |

Help - Dilemma over water in the wall!!!

I recently discovered that water was leaking/dripping in the concrete wall behind the bathtub every time after someone took a hot shower. There's no leak in using the tub or shower with just cold water.

I have a Grohe single lever bath/shower mixer so the cartridge and shower hose are all outside of the wall. So the leak is not with the faucet or hose. The only thing I can see are the hot and cold pipes going into the wall.

On the other side of the wall, there's a small access panel near the floor so you can access the tub overflow tube and maybe the tub drain. If I was a mouse, I could walk underneath the tub. I noticed the problem when mildew started forming around the panel ate away the paint and warped the wood baseboard as well the marble floor around the area is turning darker.

I see some condensation on the metal tub but the water is coming from above the tub. The tub appears to be sitting on a concrete sill, so I cannot see anything else. I have no idea where the pipes are but suspect that they are imbedded in the concrete wall somewhere.

It's here that I see water dripping, a bid drop every second when it's at its most intense. I thought it was the tub caulking and replaced that. No difference.

I am left with only the thought that the hot water pipe has sprung a leak. That means tearing down the concrete wall from the back or ripping up the marble wall inside the bathroom. The marble tiles are probably irreplaceable due to their unique pattern so I either end up with 1 mismatched wall or re-do the other 2 walls in a new marble tiles.

So what you think? Go through the concrete side or the marbled side? Any chance that going through the concrete will that damage the marble on the other side? Redo the entire bathtub walls with new marble tiles?

Money isn't really the issue....I just want to get it done the most efficient and time-effective manner. I can't have the tub out of commission for more than a few days which mucking with the marble would cost me.

any thoughts or comments to help me through this trying time is much appreciated

SteveKnomull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:22 AM   #2

could that be condensation?

london is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 AM   #3

Water does not usually condense on hot pipes, just cold. If this only happens when taking a shower, it is likely in that pipe above the shower valve. The most likely spot is where the goose neck to the shower head screws in. Remove the shower head pipe, wrap with teflon tape or use pipe dope to seal the threads and reinstall, making sure it is tight. That usually fixes the problem. If not, you will need to cut out some drywall behind and find the leak.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Water does not usually condense on hot pipes, just cold. If this only happens when taking a shower, it is likely in that pipe above the shower valve. The most likely spot is where the goose neck to the shower head screws in. Remove the shower head pipe, wrap with teflon tape or use pipe dope to seal the threads and reinstall, making sure it is tight. That usually fixes the problem. If not, you will need to cut out some drywall behind and find the leak.
Bill, it doesn't leak using cold water, only hot. If there's a leak in the hot water pipe the leak would be constant and the issue would be before the shower controls. So it wouldn't make any difference if the water was on or not, the pipe would be under pressure irregardless. After the shower body, both hot and cold use the common feed to the shower and tub unless the job was dual piped with a pipe from each temperature leading to the tub and shower. Which is very unlikely.
Post a picture of the shower controls. I've never seen a shower body outside the walls. There's something missing from the description of this issue.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote