Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #1

Share |

help with choosing whole house softener and filter

Sorry if this has been brought up but when i search everything i find is years old. My parents live in Palm springs and on city water. the water is hard. the shower is always clogged and stained. hard to even wash the windows. i am looking for a complete system and i am confused. i am looking to spend around $1,500-$2,500 or so. i see the pelican system and life source. was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what is better and if anything else would be better. i live in san francsico and our water is fine so now one around here sells them.

thanks
chris

hjscm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

I'm not a pro or expert on water softener and conditioning systems, but we bought a Watercare Elan system for $2,200 a little over a year ago.
In addition to softening the very hard water that we have here, it has a charcoal filter that removes chlorine, etc. odor and taste before the softener. We're on county water, but can switch to our well if necessary.
We have such good water with this system now, that we actually completely stopped buying any bottled water. Our tap water is crystal clear and tastes great now, and this system regenerates from volume use, not a timer, and it uses much less salt than our old softener.
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #3

I'm trying to find a replacement system that is affordable and requires less maintenance. I have a prefilter before the softner. I had a Kenmore softener in place but am looking at the Waterboss 900 to help filter Iron and soften the water. I'm on well water.

Thanks.

Denny
stressdspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #4

I'm a long way from you but here's my two cents. I have a GE from HD and my neighbour has a Kenmore. I live in a very hard water area where we go through a lot of kettles and coffee makers, etc. My neighbours resin tank just leaked. Another neighbours timer fried.
His Kenmore is 9 years old, still under warranty. I read up on it and this resin tank defect appears to be a chronic issue, splitting or leaking.

I have rebuilt my valve at least 3 times with parts from Sears and another neighbour's once as well. If you can do brake jobs in the driveway the softener is easy to maintain.
I've never used a softener with a Clack Valve but hear them recommended often. I would only buy another GE or Kenmore if all parts and service were include for at least 7 years. Then divide my total cost over 7 -10 years. I figure with parts and my service my softener has cost about $125 per year. If I had to pay for service calls add $500 Not bad water just frustrating to maintain.

Gary any other advice on GE Kenmore , send me a PM if you have any pointers
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #5

I live in a small house,,,all by myself,,,sometimes wish there was two of us. My water use is around 600 gallons a month with a small water leak. My faucets were all just rebuilt 10 months ago and again leaking. Looked at the big box stores softeners but determined they were all too big for ME. Highest peak use would be shower,hand washing a few dishes or a load of laundry ever month.

I am tired of fixing faucets since there seems to be some scum that accumulates. I dont want to run thru salt for the heck of it,BUT its a necessary evil. Same on small rental houses,the plumbing repairs eat me alive!! Is there a SMALL inexpensive softener for MY use?? Doesnt seem to matter whether its a cheap or expensive faucet purchased,,,the life span is way too short!! Is their a mineral that eats faucets for lunch??
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:54 AM   #6

high TDS, chlorides, DO, CO2 and hardness scale can corrode them; internally or externally.

Gary, can you define those initials??
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Water quality'n pump guy

TDS total dissolved solids, CO2 carbon dioxide, DO dissolved oxygen.

Gary Slusser is offline   Reply With Quote