Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help! Can't desolder old pipe

Hi,

Hoping for some help here. I recently found a pipe that rotted out under my kitchen sink. It goes through the floor and into a waste drain in the basement. I used a blowtorch for almost 10 minutes and could not budge it at the closest elbow joint. The propane torch did not even make the pipe glow. I know it isn't steel...could be brass I suppose.

Well, to get to the point, the wife is without her kitchen sink and dishwasher and is NOT happy. I need to replace that length of pipe running to the elbow. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong and how I could, for not too much money, solve the problem?

Thanks in advance!

John

vintshave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Could you post a pic? That'll help us figure out what your dealing with.

How to attach a photo to a post

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Probably Copper. Post picture. bTW, metal does not rot, it corrodes or disintegrates due to corrosion or rust.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,472

sounds like your going to burn down the house. If you expect the pipe to glow it won't happen.
Is the pipe located in the cabinet or in the the wall?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

The pipe can't have water in it. Won't get hot enough.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #6

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
Could you post a pic? That'll help us figure out what your dealing with.

How to attach a photo to a post
Here are some pictures....One picture is the corroded end of the pipe, another is the elbow I am trying to detach and the last is the end of the pipe going into the drain.

Help! Can't desolder old pipe-brokenpipend.jpg

Help! Can't desolder old pipe-pipeelbow.jpg

Help! Can't desolder old pipe-otherend.jpg
Old 06-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyorpay View Post
The pipe can't have water in it. Won't get hot enough.
I doubt that the pipe has water in it. And even if it did, I think 10 minutes at 1,000 degrees should have boiled it off :P
Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintshave View Post
Here are some pictures....One picture is the corroded end of the pipe, another is the elbow I am trying to detach and the last is the end of the pipe going into the drain.
What I've had to do in the past is hammer the fitting & pipe out while holding the torch on the fitting I'm trying to loosen. Seems like not all the solder will dissolve, maybe some of it's corroded together. Make sure there's nothing that'll melt underneath, as the pipe will be frickin' hot. Maybe have some wet rags, spray bottle and a large pail of water nearby, but not underfoot.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
What I've had to do in the past is hammer the fitting & pipe out while holding the torch on the fitting I'm trying to loosen. Seems like not all the solder will dissolve, maybe some of it's corroded together. Make sure there's nothing that'll melt underneath, as the pipe will be frickin' hot. Maybe have some wet rags, spray bottle and a large pail of water nearby, but not underfoot.
I'd be surprised if the pipe is less than 40 years old
Old 06-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

I'd just cut the pipe an inch or so back from the elbow and rebuild from there. With shark bite couplings there would be no soldering involved. A little spendy but for a small job like that they are just the ticket.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
goosebarry (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

cut the copper into that elbow on the right side and rebuild it back up into the kitchen forget the soldering.torch might not be hot enough solder should of got wet at least if it was 95/5..might of been brazed in.get away from it and enjoy the weekend..and get the wife smilin' again.if your mint with soldering might also want to consider cutting that copper into the elbow swet in a FM threaded adapter X swet fitting and go up in pvc
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,130

I had a similar setup in my house. I would cut the copper using a tubing cutter or a sawzall if you are careful about 18 inches above where it meets the drain. I used a Fernco coupling to connect to schedule 40 PVC, which is my material of choice for drainage pipe. Rebuild the entire drain from the stub (the 18 inches of pipe you leave) up. This will give you the opportunity to install a cleanout and a trap. Your wife will love you, and of course you will have the opportunity to easily clean out the pipe should your wife decide to put something untowards down the drain (don't ask me how I know about this particular issue). By the way, you can sell the copper for scrap at $2.50 a lb and make back most of the cost of the project.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (06-22-2012), gregzoll (06-22-2012), vintshave (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
cut the copper into that elbow on the right side and rebuild it back up into the kitchen forget the soldering.torch might not be hot enough solder should of got wet at least if it was 95/5..might of been brazed in.get away from it and enjoy the weekend..and get the wife smilin' again.if your mint with soldering might also want to consider cutting that copper into the elbow swet in a FM threaded adapter X swet fitting and go up in pvc
Are you suggesting cutting the elbow itself right down the middle? If so, what sort of connection would I use to connect to the now halved brass elbow? And what would you then use to run the pipe up to the kitchen? More brass?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
I'd just cut the pipe an inch or so back from the elbow and rebuild from there. With shark bite couplings there would be no soldering involved. A little spendy but for a small job like that they are just the ticket.
Can I cut brass pipe with a pipe cutter? I think it might be brass rather than copper, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I had a similar setup in my house. I would cut the copper using a tubing cutter or a sawzall if you are careful about 18 inches above where it meets the drain. I used a Fernco coupling to connect to schedule 40 PVC, which is my material of choice for drainage pipe. Rebuild the entire drain from the stub (the 18 inches of pipe you leave) up. This will give you the opportunity to install a cleanout and a trap. Your wife will love you, and of course you will have the opportunity to easily clean out the pipe should your wife decide to put something untowards down the drain (don't ask me how I know about this particular issue). By the way, you can sell the copper for scrap at $2.50 a lb and make back most of the cost of the project.

SO if you are looking at the last picture, which is where it meets the drain, there isnt 18" of pipe on the vertical piece. Are you suggesting that I cut the pipe on the horizontal section, install a fernco there and run 40 PVC from there to an elbow and then up to the kitchen?