Help, Cannot Find Correct Tub Drain Stopper - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help, Cannot find correct tub drain stopper

I have a Kohler tub that was probably original to the house which was built in 1984.

The stopper linkage has seized up and can no longer pop up the stopper to fill tub. There is basically no access to the pipes. The plumber recommended installing a toe touch or lift and turn stopper in the drain.

I have gone through 5 different drains (all lift and turn) and none of them will screw back into the original tub shoe assembly.

I have tried 1 3/8" fine thread, 1 1/2" course thread, 1 1/2" fine thread. The original drain is course thread and appears to be 11.5 threads per inch.

I measured the diameter of the original drain screw and it measures a little over 1 1/2" on outside diameter of screw, and a little over 1 3/8" inside diameter of the screw. The height of the screw is about 1" tall when measuring from top of screw to bottom of screw, and 1 1/4" tall when measuring from flange to bottom of screw.

I have logged about 16 hours online researching and still cannot find a replacement. Does anyone know of a drain that matches those dimensions?

Thanks!

Advertisement

ryanmw2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12

I'm in this forum looking for advice, myself. But, I read your post. I might suggest calling Kohler Customer Service. Companies that have been around as long as they have usually should be able to help. Good luck.

Advertisement

papernpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

So.....What's the plumber say about all this?

Is he really a plumber and if so, why can't he fix it?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #4

I called Kohler's contact number and it directed me to a customer service rep who could not help but gave me a phone number of another department however they dont open until Monday.

The plumber actually did not take out and replace the assembly because they were there under another service call (home warranty service call for a separate issue). The drains they had would not fit and suggested a plumbing supply company but they dont open until Monday either.

I really have a feeling that this drain is no longer made and will be not worth my time and energy to track down.

I have ordered a NuFit universal stopper and plan to just leave the original drain in. Hopefully this will work and can finally call it a day.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Tileguy

Ace Hardware sells corks.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #6

Unfortunately i couldn't even cork it if I wanted to! the crossbars are at the top so cant even use some cheap rubber stopper...

My next option was to send it to hollywood to have special effects team make cast of the threads and then have blacksmith pour 24k gold into it, creating my new drain and lift & turn stopper ....probably would have been cheaper and less time consuming than the BS ive gone through so far.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
Unfortunately i couldn't even cork it if I wanted to! the crossbars are at the top so cant even use some cheap rubber stopper...
HOLD ON !!! RED FLAG !!!

Have you been removing the piece with the "cross bars" when attempting to install one of the new fixtures?

The problems you are having aren't making any sense to me. I have done what you are trying to do scores of times over the years and never had a major issue. The replacement drain fixtures do come in more than one size but most of them I have seen come with more than one size bushing also for that reason. What are we missing here?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #8

Yes, the drain has a crossbar near top (just below flange) with hole in middle. Also there is a flat strainer with a hole in middle that sits on top of the drain, a screw is then inserted into both strainer and drain to push strainer tight to drain.

I have removed screw, strainer, and drain (drain was removed using cloth covered plyers down inside the drain and turning against crossbars)

i havnt found a single replacement drain that will fit and/or screw in all the way.

The ones that fit (im assuming 1-3/8") will not screw in all the way. It seizes about 3/4 of way. I'm assuming this is because they are 16 TPI fine thread and my old drain is 11.5 TPI coarse thread.

They usually come with 1-1/2" bushing that is also coarse thread, but with bushing on it will not fit in the hole.

I assume I need a 1-3/8", 11.5 TPI coarse thread drain which does not appear to be manufactured by an living individual and/or all existing drains of this size were melted down in WWII for ammunition, except of course the one that resides in my tub.
The Following User Says Thank You to ryanmw2002 For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (08-14-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmw2002 View Post
Yes, the drain has a crossbar near top (just below flange) with hole in middle. Also there is a flat strainer with a hole in middle that sits on top of the drain, a screw is then inserted into both strainer and drain to push strainer tight to drain.

I have removed screw, strainer, and drain (drain was removed using cloth covered plyers down inside the drain and turning against crossbars)

i havnt found a single replacement drain that will fit and/or screw in all the way.

The ones that fit (im assuming 1-3/8") will not screw in all the way. It seizes about 3/4 of way. I'm assuming this is because they are 16 TPI fine thread and my old drain is 11.5 TPI coarse thread.

They usually come with 1-1/2" bushing that is also coarse thread, but with bushing on it will not fit in the hole.

I assume I need a 1-3/8", 11.5 TPI coarse thread drain which does not appear to be manufactured by an living individual and/or all existing drains of this size were melted down in WWII for ammunition, except of course the one that resides in my tub.
I'm experincing the exactly problem. How did you resolve this?
tate16t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
I'm experincing the exactly problem.
Now re-read that comment tate16t, and tell me what you think of it.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Now re-read that comment tate16t, and tell me what you think of it.
I have re-read the comment. I still have the same problem. It seems the threads are different and the new stopper will not screw in. It goes in part of the way and stops.

I'm going to try the Flip It Universal Tub Stopper.

Let me know what you think.

Advertisement

tate16t is offline   Reply With Quote