Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help buying a new water heater

I'm currently researching buying a new water heater. I have an 1100sqft condo with one bath. I currently have a 40gal electric tank heater that to my knowledge is original to the condo (1988).

I have started to notice a dripping noise coming from the tank after the water heater has been in use (taking a shower, running the dishwasher etc) but there is no visible dripping or leaking around the unit.

We use very little hot water and never run two appliances requiring hot water at the same time. Typically, two showers in the morning, dishwasher twice / week and normal sink use.

The current heater is quite inefficient as evidenced by going away for a week and turning the breaker off. When this has been done, I've notice about 25% reduction in my monthly electric bill -- quite significant.

I plan to sell my condo in the next 1.5 - 2 years so I am not looking for an expensive replacement that will offer a return over the long haul.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a replacement solution, whether it be tankless or a new tank?

Thanks!
Matt

matt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

Just buy a new electric water heater unless gas is an option but then the price will go up as will install costs.
Just don't buy a Whirlpool one.

bob22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,394

in most cases a standard new electric heater will provide you with what you are looking for as far as being more efficient and reasonable in cost....here in pa we use bradford white.reliance, and state all good heaters.
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #4

Thank you both for the advice!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,036

I think that putting a fiber glass blanket intended for the purpose around your existing water heater will save more energy compared with replacing it with another electric water heater.

Leaks in the hot water side of the plumbing will run up your electric bill fast. Check the water meter for any movement after a night of no water usage. Meters with a large "second hand" are easiest to monitor for this test.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 544

Not sure about the elec ones but the "better" models of most brands' gas water heaters have thicker insulation (2" vs 1"). Elec models probably have the same choices but not sure it would be worth the extra cost for your 1.5 year time frame. Otherwise I would always say go with a model with higher insulation. Also much neater than just covering it with firberglass.
raylo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #7

I ended up replacing with a 40gal Whirlpool model. I noticed this morning after showering the pressure relief valve was slowly dripping. It's been installed for a few weeks with no issues. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks...
Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 544

Do you have an expansion tank on your water system? After showering the water heater will kick on and if you don't draw any water during the heat up it will greatly increase your water system pressure. This can cause the TP relief valve to weep if you don't have an expansion tank to absorb the increased water volume caused by thermal expansion. An expansion tank should solve this problem... in the interim you could check the water heater thermostat setting. The higher you have it set the greater these pressure transients will be. If you lower it a tad the weeping may stop.
raylo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Just buy a new electric water heater unless gas is an option but then the price will go up as will install costs.
Just don't buy a Whirlpool one.
"I ended up replacing with a 40gal Whirlpool model."

A bit late now but:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...r_heaters.html

I hope you have good luck with yours!

bob22 is online now   Reply With Quote