Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help With Bathtub Dimensions...

I'm currently remodelling my bathroom completely and have stumbled into a big problem - finding a bathtub with proper dimensions (or so I think) and need some help.

My former bathtub had dimensions 60" x 30" x 16".

My contractor bought one with correct length and width but height of 14". The 60" end against the wall rests against a horizontal wooden beam (16" from the ground), so the tub is at an angle because the front sits on its base and is 14" from the ground to the top.

The contractor wanted to put 2x4"s under the tub to level it completely at 16" from the ground to the top of the tub. I wasn't too big on the idea to begin with, but I [don't know how neither of us] noticed the warranty sticker that voids the warranty if any materials are placed under the tub for support. The contractor has left for the night so I can't ask him questions at the moment and I'm hoping to find a solution before meeting tomorrow morning.

So...

Do I have to adhere to 30" width? I'm guessing that a 32" would not align with my drainage. Most importantly, do I have to stick to the 16" height? It is almost impossible to find a 16" tall bathtub on any of the major manufactorer's Web sites.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Jamaro85; 10-30-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Jamaro85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

60" is the standard length for tubs, width and height may vary. Height is generally not an issue since you have to remove tile/drywall anyhow. Filling in a floor can be accomplished with adding a tile border, or if vinyl, a new floor. Cutting out a tile floor needs a masonary or diamond saw. All of these things are normal and usual when remodeling.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Is it possible to just build up the whole area under the tub 2"?
Plumbvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the responses! I've decided to let the contractors install supporting 2x4 beams underneath and not worry about the warranty. Bathtubs are not all that expensive anyway and this seems to be the only solution out of convenience. They have done a good job at getting it done and covered the two inches of wood with cuts of the matching marble floor tiles.

All is good now, thanks again.
Jamaro85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathtub dimensions