Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #1

Share |

Help with basement bathroom vent

I am in the process of finishing my basement which will include a bathroom. The basement was roughed in for a bathroom when we bought the house, and this is the current setup. There are two stubs sticking out of the concrete. One is 2" while the other is 3" (I am assuming that the smaller pipe is for the faucet drain and the big one is for the WC). There is also a gravel hole in the vicinity, which I assume is for a shower or bathtub. There is a sewage pump adjacent to the bathroom area (in addition to a sump pump) and both the pipes drain into the sewage pump which ejects everything out of the house through a 3" pipe (I confirmed this by pouring water down both pipes) that goes out of the house. The sewage pump is vented, and the 2" vent pipe from the sewage pump connects to a 2" pipe coming out of the concrete and going up to the first floor (possibly to the vent stack?) 20 feet away.

I would like to add a wet bar around 35 feet away from the faucet drain. I put in a drain line from the wet bar area to the 2" pipe with a wye connector and the line has a 1/4" slope/foot . My question is, what would be the best way to vent the whole setup? Would I need a separate vent each for the bar faucet and the bathroom faucet? Or would a single vent from the 2" (in the form of a T) be sufficient? Would it be OK to connect this vent to the sewage pump vent, or would I need to take it all the way to the pipe to which the sewage vent pipe connects?

Thanks for any help in advance.
satchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #2

35 feet is a long way, I would vent the bar sink seperate from the bathroom sink. You can tie these two vents together 6" above the flood rim of the higher fixture, then run to the main vent. Connecting into the vent from the sewage ejector is a possibility, but I can't make an accurate assumption without knowing the capacity of the sewage pumps and the arrangement and distances of the piping in the immediate area. But you should be okay.
The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post
35 feet is a long way, I would vent the bar sink seperate from the bathroom sink. You can tie these two vents together 6" above the flood rim of the higher fixture, then run to the main vent. Connecting into the vent from the sewage ejector is a possibility, but I can't make an accurate assumption without knowing the capacity of the sewage pumps and the arrangement and distances of the piping in the immediate area. But you should be okay.
Thanks for your reply. Here is what I think I will do. I will run a vent from the bathroom to the vent pipe that goes to the roof, and will tie the bar vent into this at ceiling height. I am attaching three pictures - one of the proposed bar vent, the second is the bathroom vent and the last one is the tie between both (the dark black lines are the new pipes I would put in). I would appreciate your feedback on my thoughts.

As you can see in the second picture, it would have been easier to tie the bathroom vent to the sewage pump vent. This guy at home depot thought that it would be a bad idea since it might cause a loop back for the sewer gases. Also, I do not know the specifications of the sewage pump.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with basement bathroom vent-bar-vent.jpg   Help with basement bathroom vent-bath-vent.jpg   Help with basement bathroom vent-final-vent.jpg  
satchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #4

Hi I have a problem when my washing machine(up on the main floor) runs through the cycle it actually sucks the water out of the basement toilet and gurgles from the basement show. I have had to put many wax seals under the stool because they leak after a month or so. Do I need to (and how would I ) install another aair vent for the baasement piping? The basement bathroom was added after the house was finished. Please advise my solutuion. thanks a lot
dnick is offline   Reply With Quote