Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #1

Share |

help !!

hello all ... sorry if this be the first post without any intros and blah blah blah .... need help bad !!

i am installing a bathroom in my basement , and i am stumped on the venting .... i have asked many people in regards to venting the bathroom ..
a handful of old and new pro's who say that venting is not needed in the basement as i am hooking on to a existing stack .... ??

on the other hand ... i have asked a few plumbers and they say all fixtures need to be vented...?

... my question is can i run a vent from near the end of the line .( pics enclosed) .. and poke a hole out my basement wall to vent it up...?
does it need to go outside..?? .. i have been told by one plumber to use a cheater vent ( studor vent ) ...which i presume are legal here in Toronto,Canada .... and that would save me from boring any holes or trying to feed it to the roof ... where would i situate the aav ... ??

sorry to be long winded , but i wanted to make sure i asked the needed questions... i know there will be more coming ...lol

here are the pics of my layout and dilema ...

corrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #2

help !!

Since you are taping into your sewer at the point it goes to vent you will not need another vent. If you plumb as your picture shows you will not have any problems.

brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

help !!

Since you need a permit, before you begin, contact your Building Inspection Department for local code, permit and inspection requirements!
Good luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 11-28-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #4

help !!

oh yes ... always check the local bylaws and permits .....

..so i dont need to vent and three fixtures nor do i need to add a
cheater vent ,,,

thats is so good to hear

Old 11-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #5

help !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado View Post
oh yes ... always check the local bylaws and permits .....

..so i dont need to vent and three fixtures nor do i need to add a
cheater vent ,,,

thats is so good to hear

In Ontario venting is required! Wherever there is danger of the trap being sucked dry!
Toronto may even be stricter! In my area (rural) a cheater may be used under some circumstances, if its allowed by the inspector.
I'm not a plumber, but I do know that venting of some sort is necessary!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #6

help !!

..now i am confused ....

do i need to vent ??
Old 11-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #7

help !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado View Post
..now i am confused ....

do i need to vent ??
if you want a short answer, its yes!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #8

help !!

You need to vent, but doing it as drawn should be fine. You'll need another vent or an air admittance vent (studor vent) for the vanity sink if there is one.

Furthermore, backflow protection for the basement bath group is required if your fixtures are located below the upstream (uphill) manhole of the sewer...Most basements need backflow devices for bath groups...Not all, but most. Without backflow devices it is easy to get a basement full of poo in the event of a city sewer issue. In the event your own sewer line plugs up, anything that runs down a drain from upstairs will end up coming up through your shower without a backflow device.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:04 AM   #9
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

help !!

Yes, every fixture must be vented. Now there are quite a number of ways to vent fixtures. The code we follow here has 7 different venting systems that can be used. An end vent on the building drain isnt one of them. First of all what you are actually venting according to your photo/drawing is the building drain and not the fixtures. Secondly, you are flat venting until you turn the pipe up the wall. Flat venting isnt allowed here...may be allowed in your area. If wet venting is allowed in your area that would be the route I'd probably take. I'd do like KC said and vent the lavatory thus wetventing the water closet and shower.

Good luck

JDC is offline   Reply With Quote