Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #1

Share |

heights and distances to drains and vents in MA

Good afternoon all,

Following the answers I received to two previous posts I felt we needed to rethink the way the basement is currently laid out and plumbed.

In the basement there are currently three drains: washing machine, bathroom sink and shower. The washer drains into the main stack at a point about 2 ft above the concrete slab. It can be seen in a previous post:

laundry tub in basement laundry room

The sink and shower drains, located about 6-8 feet from the main stack both disappear into the concrete slab. I assume they both join the main beneath the slab. The sink trap connects to the drain pipe about 18 inches above the slab.

Ok, so here's what I would like to know, preferably in the context of MA code:
  1. What is the maximum distance a sink or washing machine can be located from the nearest drain and vent?
  2. At what height from the slab should a washing machine and separate sink connect to the vertical drainpipes?
  3. Can multiple fixtures be served by a single 2" drain? In this case I'd like to hook two occasionally used sinks up to the same drain, but the sinks are several feet apart and only one of them is beside the drain.
Basically I am trying to accommodate changes to the layout while using only existing drains. Perhaps this is just not doable. I thought I'd ask here first.

Kind regards,

Joe
josephmartins is offline   Reply With Quote