Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #1

Share |

Heating System Check Valves

My home is in a rural area and we use well water which is not too good. We have a hot water heating system with three zones. Each zone has a shutoff value after it exits the boiler and then a check valve and an additional shutoff valve just past the check valve. None of the second set of shutoff valves has a drainage port. Two of the zones have Taco 218 Universal Flochek check valves while the third has a Taco 219. All of the check valves and the shutoff valves have deteriorated to the point that I need to replace them. However, I had several questions about the need for both the check valves and the second set of shutoff valves. The boiler was once used for heating hot water, but that function has since been transferred to a stand-alone hot water heater.

1 - Do I need the check valves in the first place? My old house, which had a similar heating system, did not have such check valves, although there was only one zone in the building.

2 - Do I need the second set of shutoff valves, since there are shutoff valves as the heating hot water exits the boiler?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ajberezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #2

A check valve in each zone keeps water from going the wrong way through that zone when that zone is off and another zone is on. It might also reduce gravity (convection; phantom) flow the right way through that zone when that zone is off.

Shutoff valves on both sides of a circulator allow you to replace the circulator pump without draining the whole system.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #3

Unfortunately, the first shutoff is past the circulator pump. The check valves are between the first and second shutoffs. Does that change your opinion regarding the need for both of them?
ajberezo is offline   Reply With Quote