DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Heating Element?

3K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  MikeVila 
#1 ·
All of a sudden with no warning: You have to run the hot water fully opened and cold basically off to take a shower. And the hot water doesn't last no where near as long before it goes COLD. Do I need to replace the element? If so, are they all pretty much standard replacements? Thx. Mike

#2 ·
Could be an element but could also be silt in the water heater.

Elements for water heaters are pretty standard. There are a few odd balls out there for some smaller units. Just pull the bad unit out and take it with you to the local water heater element store.

#5 ·
More than likely the lower one.

Just shut off the electricity, shut off the water, hook up a hose to the drain at the bottom, open the valve, open a hot water faucet to allow air to get in the line and help the draining of the tank. It will take a while to drain. Once it's drained remove the element and take it to the store for the replacement.

Use pipe dope to put the new element in. Reconnect the wire and fill the tank. Turn on the electricity and bled the water lines.

#9 ·
Need help ASAP!!! Tried opening the pressure relief valve and with it closed. Have 2 hot faucets on. Don't get it. I have a long garden hose running from the drain out the back door and out the yard along a decline and no water has even come out of the end of the hose.

#13 ·
O.K., draining finally. I don't think it was clogged, more like vapor locked or something. I opened and closed the relief valve and kinda held it in the middle and could hear it gurgling then when I closed it you could hear the water start gushing out. How long does a 40 gallon tank usually take to drain? It's coming out steady at the end.

#17 ·
LOL, it actually filled up quite quick and heated up quicker than I thought. Still can't believe I had so much trouble draining it. Does that sound about right? It couldve been airlocked? Think i'm gonna do some research on tankless units. This is only a 40 gallon tank and when I start using the whirlpool I don't think it's gonna be able to keep up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.