DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Have you ever thing this bath faucet stem? Very rare. (

allen_91107 08-15-2010 04:24 PM

Have you ever seen this bath faucet stem? Very rare.
3 Attachment(s)
My bathroom faucet is leaking a bit of water and would like to take out the stem (or diverter) and replace the washer. However, I don't know how to remove the stem since it doesn't have the regular hex socket head. The rest of the fixtures are from a company named "Harden" which I understand is no longer in business. I have attached three pictures. The front of the stem is made of gray plastic.

Please help!

LateralConcepts 08-15-2010 04:31 PM

I would say it's time to update. Replace the entire tub/shower valve. Consider tile while you're at it.

allen_91107 08-15-2010 04:37 PM

That would be nice. But not in the budget. I am sure it is a simple washer issue if I can get to it.

LateralConcepts 08-15-2010 04:45 PM


Originally Posted by allen_91107 (Post 486160)
That would be nice. But not in the budget. I am sure it is a simple washer issue if I can get to it.

Not sure. I've never seen one like that. Perhaps someone else here will know.

the_man 08-15-2010 08:43 PM

I've seen these once or twice, i've ordered parts from some company in the seattle area that makes them aftermarket. the brass part behind the handle stop will unscrew, it just looks different from a standard Price Pfister stem or similar. I googled for pics for ya, found an old thread off of this forum that shows it a little more dismantled... once you get to this point, you should be able to slide the handle back on and gently unscrew it from the valve body, just like when you turn it on

allen_91107 08-15-2010 09:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. I actually did see the tread in your link before I posted mine. The stems are a bit different. On mine, there is no hex nut at all. The beginning part is plastic. I think what I am going to do is to put in a shutoff valve going to the valve body so I can take the plastic piece out without shutting off the water to the whole house.

the_man 08-16-2010 08:54 AM

Not a bad idea, you can never have enough shut off valves in the house. If you're going to be opening up the wall behind to do that, consider installing a new valve like lateral concepts said. Lowes/Depot have a Moen double handle for like 80 bucks, as long as the valve that you have now is on 8" centers it should fit in pretty easily. You'll spend a lot of time/gas looking for parts for that faucet and who knows if you even will find anything other than washers.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.