DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   have sliced into underfloor polyethylene pipe (

Roger44 03-21-2007 02:14 PM

have sliced into underfloor polyethylene pipe
I have sliced half the diameter into a poyethylene water pipe buried two cms in newly laid floor concrete. Are there any miracle products or tricks to repair it or do I have to cut the concrete out all around it to put a pipe connection?

Ron The Plumber 03-21-2007 06:44 PM

What is this pipe suppling? This is pex pipe. clear looking right?

Roger44 03-22-2007 12:19 AM

No Ron, it's black pipe. I'll cut off a piece and post a photo tonight.

Mike Swearingen 03-22-2007 06:57 AM

If this pipe is rigid black plastic, it most likely is an ABS black plastic drain pipe. If it is, you will have to cut or break out the concrete around the cut and repair it with an ABS coupling the same size as the pipe, using ABS glue only.
I can't imagine anyone putting thin wall flex black water supply tubing in concrete, but what do I know. That would require a different type of double end king nipple inserted into the line and sealed with stainless steel clamps.
What do you think Ron?

Ron The Plumber 03-22-2007 07:53 AM

Yes lets see the picture.

Roger44 03-22-2007 01:32 PM

So sorry, clean forgot to take a shot of the pipe. If it helps, here's the black pipe embedded in the concrete with the cut. It's pipe you buy in rolls of approx 1m diam, OD about 40mm and walls about 4mm thick.

Is there no miracle fix the bright boys have invented?

Ron The Plumber 03-22-2007 05:45 PM

I can't tell what that is, but what ever it is, it will need exposed and fixed. no miracle fix, sorry.

Roger44 03-23-2007 09:52 PM

Again forgotten to take a photo although I'm tripping over the stuff all day long on the site. Someone has sent me photos of a thermal repair, how do you feel about this sort of solution which like most innovations probably came from the States. Here's a photo of the sleeve and a photo with the wires which send a current into two electrical resistances which heat and melt the "plastic" together. A bit pricey apparently.

Roger44 03-23-2007 11:38 PM

More info. The pipe I've cut is 32mm HDPE High Density Polyethylene and it would appear that this electrofusion methode dates from 2005 and an Israeli company PLASSON is very active in this field. Have you used it much, what do you reckon? An expensive "overkill" for a one-off job?

Ron The Plumber 03-24-2007 10:12 AM

Never delt with this before, so I don't know.

POOLMANinCT 03-31-2007 12:11 AM

looks like "blueflex" poly well pipe.. also found in ancient swimming pools...

what is the line supplying?

you've already exposed pipe & removed a biy of concrete.. why stop now?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1