Have A Photo Of My Waste Stack; Suggestions Concerns? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Have a photo of my waste stack; suggestions concerns?

I have a few questions pertaining to the below photo, mind the dog please….
This is a shot from the kitchen; the far wall is shared with the bathroom on the other side. Its hard to tell from the picture but the drain pipe(copper as is the whole house) for the bathroom sink is on an uphill slope to the waste stack. Besides needing to fix this slope, is this an ok method to drain and vent the bathroom sink? That right now would be the highest part on the stack (no second floor and no vent for the kitchen sink) if that is ok then technically shouldn’t the tub and toilet be on some other vent? Right they they all drain to the waste stack and are below this sink drain. That’s not allowed I can imagine. I do plan on calling a plumber but I like to know this stuff for reference. In this situation, what would be the best options as far as proper venting and draining? Also in the picture is the kitchen drain pipe with goes straight down to an old water trap and then to the main stack. That will need a vent as well.

Suggestions as to the best method to drain and vent all fixtures? That is it for the house btw, all right here 

Advertisement

langless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 526

I can't really tell from the photo: is the knee high horizontal pipe going to the main stack the bathroom sink drain? How far to the left of the photo edge is the sink? Where do the tub and toilet drain into the main stack? Below the floor? Is that a 4" cast iron stack?

There is something called "wet venting" that more or not be allowed in some areas. It has to do with a drain being above a vent in the main stack. I can't really explain when it is allowed other than a small item (sink?) draining above the vent.

Let the pros explain a little more.

B

Advertisement

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #3

sorry i forgot to mention, right at the left cutoff of the photo, that is where the sink drain is for the bathroom. the toilet, kitchen sink, and bathtub all drain into this stack right below the floor. it appears to be 4" maybe 3" i can check when i get home. i live in MA as well. this house is untouched 1959'. they did redo the bathroom but just fixture updates, no plumbing updates. i would say the bathroom sink is 4 or 5' from the stack.

Last edited by langless28; 10-11-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

All your fixtures appear to vent at the 4" stack. Per UPC, the only really bad part is the kitchen sink. The bathroom is wet vented and is done pretty much to modern code. (can't see the tub piping) You should at least rebuild the trap arm to the lav. The copper will rot out soon and you have the wall open now so it's a good time to replace it.
S traps as you have at the kitchen are no longer allowed. They tend to siphon themselves dry. Consider a new drain and vent stack in the wall a use a standard p trap.
ben's plumbing (10-12-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 664

And change those supplys so there behind the walls not through the floors. There no longer code also.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #6

thanks for the responses. yes the kitchen sink drain and water pipes will be relocated over to the right about 1.5' and be installed in the wall as you mentioned. are you suggesting to run a secondary vent for the kitchen sink or run it over to the main stack like the sink in the bathroom does?

as for this wet drain method, what exactly does that mean? if i don't hear a response ill take it as i can easily google and learn what it is.

i thought i should bring some attention to this point as well. we get a mild sewer gas smell when we use the bathroom sink. any reason for that? how could we fix this?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by langless28 View Post
thanks for the responses. yes the kitchen sink drain and water pipes will be relocated over to the right about 1.5' and be installed in the wall as you mentioned. are you suggesting to run a secondary vent for the kitchen sink or run it over to the main stack like the sink in the bathroom does?

as for this wet drain method, what exactly does that mean? if i don't hear a response ill take it as i can easily google and learn what it is.

i thought i should bring some attention to this point as well. we get a mild sewer gas smell when we use the bathroom sink. any reason for that? how could we fix this?
Run the kitchen vent separate through the roof- it will be easier then going to the CI stack
I could try to explain wet vent but google images will be better- as long as they're showing proper method. Basically, the lower fixture's vent(toilet) is oversized to allow for waste water from upper fixtures. Your lav will not comprimise the vent of the toilet. BTW we're talking vertical wet venting and it has it's limits
Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
And change those supplys so there behind the walls not through the floors. There no longer code also.
That still meets code where I work---it's not wise to place water lines in outside walls in regions that have cold winters.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #9

thanks guys, yes i was curious about in the wall water supplies, i do live in MA which is NE and is a cold climate so i will have to check what the best way to do this is, or im sure a plumber will say the right method. even with the pipes between insulation batts and covered in pipe insulation; its not a good method to put it in the walls of a cold climate?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,160

Quote:
but the drain pipe(copper as is the whole house) for the bathroom sink is on an uphill slope to the waste stack.
The drain pipe you refer to in this statement is called a branch drain.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

total brain fart.....I thought I was posting a new thread....instead, posted here....appologies to the OP....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link

Last edited by ddawg16; 10-12-2012 at 10:31 PM.
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:
thanks guys, yes i was curious about in the wall water supplies, i do live in MA which is NE and is a cold climate so i will have to check what the best way to do this is, or im sure a plumber will say the right method. even with the pipes between insulation batts and covered in pipe insulation; its not a good method to put it in the walls of a cold climate?
My area goes for a few weeks at or below freezing. We avoid outside walls at all costs. Keep them in the cabinet.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

Joe lives in a warm area of the country---so he may see them inside the wall more often than not---

Advertisement