Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #1

Share |

Hard Water or Water Heater Sediment ?

Hi All,

First time post in this forum. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I notice that my faucets and shower head get clogged up with what looks like to me to be lime or calcium (white chalky grit) very frequently. I will remove the screen portion of a faucet, clean out build-up, and replace. This seems to work fine, then a week or so later, the flow of the water deminishes. I open the faucet up again, only to find it clogged with the same chalky grit. I also notice that I have virtually no hot water flow to the washing machine.

My assumption was that it was due to hard water, but would lime and calcium build up that quickly (5-7 days), or could this be indicative of sediment build-up in the hot water heater (hwh).

I have never drained the hwh, been in the house 6 years, and hwh appears to be about 10 years old & gas.

If the suggestion is to drain the hwh, what is the best way to do this. I have a window close by, and a drain valve on the hwh. Do I turn water to HWH off and gas of course, or let it fill while draining.

sdcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

Sediment in the tank is causing this, try draining the tank, cut off gas and water to the tank, hook hose to bottom outlet, then drain it all the way down, you might need to give the tank some air so it can drian good, or it will tend to get airlocked causing it to drain slowwwwwww..... Give it air by lifting the T&P Valve on the tank, once drained leave hose attached with drain open and turn on the water to the tank, let fush for a good 5 min, see if that helps, if still a problem, replace the tank, 10 years on a tank is the average life span.

Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #3

Ron,

Thanks for the info. I drained the water heater, and flushed as suggested. Also cleaned out aerators in faucets, and washing machine. After a day, lo and behold, more "sediment" in aerators. Spoke with a local plumber, and he stated based on when my water heater was made, I have a defective DIP tube. Apparantely, in the late 90's there was a recall as dip tubes were breaking down and depositing "plastic bits" in the system. Claims needed to be made by 2000 for relief.

Since I have a home warranty, they will replace the dip tube, and at the same time replace the T&P valve, as this is dripping since I drained & flushed. It's a shame that they won't replace the tank, which is 12 years old. But for $45 I let them fix it.

Thought this info may be of help to those with the same issue.
sdcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #4

I have the same problem but, its the cold water line.....like going to the toilet,outside faucet plus i still found it in the shower head and every where else water comes from? i don't see how it could be just the hot water heater what else could be the problem?
aokss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Journeyman Plumber

You on a well or city water?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber
You on a well or city water?
on city water...hard water
aokss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
Journeyman Plumber

Could be hard water, a whole house water filter might do some good, you could have the water tested by your water department, this will tell you whats up with the water your supplied.