Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Share |

Hard water in cul-de-sac

I have been told that hard water occurs more often in houses located in a dead end street or cul-de-sac.

Is this correct? If so can anyone please explain to me why.

I assume installing a water softener should resolve the issue, correct?

Thanks in advance!

dc638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #2

Hard water in cul-de-sac

Is this city water?
New one on me, city water should not be hard.
Just a wild guess, the solids and heavy metals would take the source of least resistance so would end up at the end of the line. Just a guess mind you.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #3

Hard water in cul-de-sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is this city water?
Just a wild guess, the solids and heavy metals would take the source of least resistance so would end up at the end of the line. Just a guess mind you.
Thanks for replying.

Yes, I am using city water.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Hard water in cul-de-sac

Sounds like an urban legend. It is certainly possible for city water to be hard, city water in western NY is mostly quite hard. It is expensive for a municipality to remove calcium from the water supply, so they generally leave it to the individual homeowner to install a softener. As to resolving the issue, if your issue is hard water, then a water softener will definitely resolve the issue.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
KemoSabe

Hard water in cul-de-sac

Not sure about hard water, but in my area, the water company flushes hydrants at dead end streets annually to remove sediment.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #6

Hard water in cul-de-sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Sounds like an urban legend. It is certainly possible for city water to be hard, city water in western NY is mostly quite hard. It is expensive for a municipality to remove calcium from the water supply, so they generally leave it to the individual homeowner to install a softener. As to resolving the issue, if your issue is hard water, then a water softener will definitely resolve the issue.
"Urban legend"; my first thought exactly. Also, as Daniel said, there are definitely municipal systems that distribute hard water, so, yes, there are consequently homes on municipal water supplies that have softeners. But, it seems that hardness would be a condition that would be relatively consistent though the distribution, and not measurably worsened by a deadhead. Specifically, I cannot imagine that a house on "Highway 41" having "perfect" water while the last house on every cul-de-sac needs to treat their water. On the other hand, there are also municipal systems that have recognizable particles in the water, so, as Loneframer suggested, yes, it seems possible that there could be conditions that could be noticably different between a "main drag", where the water "rushes" by, and a cul-de-sac, where it "sets" in comparison; typically though, such a condition would probably be remedied with a filter, as opposed to a softener. Regardless, I cannot envision any variations that would come close to making or breaking a deal, for me anyway. As with any home, on well or municipal, if you have any doubts, the best thing to do is get the water tested, and treat it accordingly.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #7

Hard water in cul-de-sac

Before you do anything bring a water sample and get it tested, you will not know what type or how to set it if you don't get it tested.
Any real plumbing supply of even the city may test it for you for free.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #8

Hard water in cul-de-sac

Quote:
Before you do anything bring a water sample and get it tested, you will not know what type or how to set it if you don't get it tested.
Any real plumbing supply of even the city may test it for you for free.
All municipal water suppliers are required by law to regularly test the water and to make the results publically available. Many have a web site where the information is posted. If not call your supplier and ask for the test results--they will be better and more extensive than testing typically done at a plumbing supply house.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #9

Hard water in cul-de-sac

Come to think of it, I think "cul-de-sac" is french for "water full of metals".

Sorry, couldn't help myself
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
KemoSabe

Hard water in cul-de-sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
All municipal water suppliers are required by law to regularly test the water and to make the results publically available. Many have a web site where the information is posted. If not call your supplier and ask for the test results--they will be better and more extensive than testing typically done at a plumbing supply house.
We get annual reports in the mail. Sometimes it's best to not know what lurks in your water.

http://www.vinelandcity.org/Public%2...J000374_WR.pdf
Old 01-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #11

Hard water in cul-de-sac

Thank you for everyone's reply. I will get my water tested.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #12

Hard water in cul-de-sac

Quote:
Is this city water?
No, city water should not be soft. I have never come across city water that is soft. The expense for a city to softened water would be enormous. Cities may take effort to remove other contaminants such as iron.

City water may be an improvement over wells located nearby by never provide soft water.

Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote