Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Lord of Slums

Share |

Happens to the best of us

My question is will a half inch escuction fit over a half inch coupling?

The copper pipe is cut real short and their never was a stop put on there. Somehow someone cross threaded the brass reducer and the nut. So the ferule will not move, and the new stop will not thread onto the old nut. The half inch pipe comes out of the drywall, which is wall papered.

I need the escustion to sit flush on the wall. It would seem I need to enlarge the hole in the wall and sweet a coupling on there. I am hoping too sweet the coupling inside the wall, but from the inside of the coupling.

Then I will put another piece of pipe on the other side of the coupling and sweet that in. Either this, or I will come up from the floor, but I will still have the hole in the wall.

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
My question is will a half inch escuction fit over a half inch coupling? The copper pipe is cut real short and their never was a stop put on there. Somehow someone cross threaded the brass reducer and the nut. So the ferule will not move, and the new stop will not thread onto the old nut. The half inch pipe comes out of the drywall, which is wall papered. I need the escustion to sit flush on the wall. It would seem I need to enlarge the hole in the wall and sweet a coupling on there. I am hoping too sweet the coupling inside the wall, but from the inside of the coupling. Then I will put another piece of pipe on the other side of the coupling and sweet that in. Either this, or I will come up from the floor, but I will still have the hole in the wall.
Get one of these and that ferrule will be gone in a minute or two.
Attached Images

DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #3

Quote:
My question is will a half inch escuction fit over a half inch coupling? The copper pipe is cut real short and their never was a stop put on there. Somehow someone cross threaded the brass reducer and the nut. So the ferule will not move, and the new stop will not thread onto the old nut. The half inch pipe comes out of the drywall, which is wall papered. I need the escustion to sit flush on the wall. It would seem I need to enlarge the hole in the wall and sweet a coupling on there. I am hoping too sweet the coupling inside the wall, but from the inside of the coupling. Then I will put another piece of pipe on the other side of the coupling and sweet that in. Either this, or I will come up from the floor, but I will still have the hole in the wall.
Use tin snips and cut some slots on the center hole it will now fit.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #4

Use a split one.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=8
You can also use one of these shut offs so there's no soldering needed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KSAUUI/...SIN=B004KSAUUI
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
I have good success with the puller- or you could carefully cross cut the ferule with a dremel or small hack saw and pry it off.
Trying to solder a coupling as you described is a pain- it's not easy. You'll probably end up with fire and heat damage on the wall and a pile of solder in the end of the coupling.
Escutcheons are available in copper tube size or iron pipe size
Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Lord of Slums

The fire risk is what bothers me the most. That ferule is imbedded in the copper pipe no chance of saving it, I do not believe. Can anyone tell me the length of copper pipe that needs to stick out from the wall so the valve will show no pipe. I am considering those sharkbite fittings
Old 04-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #7

Allow 1 3/8" for a compression stop and escutcheon.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #8

Quote:
The fire risk is what bothers me the most. That ferule is imbedded in the copper pipe no chance of saving it, I do not believe. Can anyone tell me the length of copper pipe that needs to stick out from the wall so the valve will show no pipe. I am considering those sharkbite fittings
I typically carefully saw the ferule off with a small hacksaw. It'll split it and then it's easy to pry off. After that, I typcially cut the pipe back to where the ferule ate into the copper pipe. Then i solder on an couple and extension piece. From the wall, i shoot for ~2inches. Check out your surrounds and make sure you have no obstructions. Should be pretty easy to complete the job. Good luck.
netdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
Lord of Slums

Not sure if copper is on its way out in the plumbing industry but someone needs to come up with a shut off that fits over a half inch coupling. This is one of my nicer rental properties, but I may have to just let some copper pipe show.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Not sure if copper is on its way out in the plumbing industry but someone needs to come up with a shut off that fits over a half inch coupling. This is one of my nicer rental properties, but I may have to just let some copper pipe show.
A little copper pipe doesn't hurt anyone
netdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Sweat on a male adapter and use a threaded valve
Old 04-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

To answer your question : probably not....

BUT, if you use the white poly escutcheons you may be able to get it to stretch enough to fit on a coupling.

Also, as far as enlarging the hole, you're going to need a decent sized hole to get the torch head in the right spot, and be able to see what's going on without catching the house on fire.